Christian Conversions Irk Bangladeshis

By Ferdous Ahmad, IOL Correspondent

Dhaka -

Many in Muslim-majority Bangladesh accuse Christian groups of exploiting the
need of underprivileged people to lure them into Christianity with money and
jobs.

"Every year a large number of poor people, caste Hindus, Buddhist, Muslims and
tribal people, convert to Christianity through financial support," a senior
official of the Ministry of Religious Affairs told IslamOnline.net, requesting
anonymity for the sensitivity of the issue.

Mainly tribal people, low caste Hindus and Buddhists were the usual target of
conversion motivated by cash and jobs.

Now Muslims are also converting.

"Poverty and economic problems are the main causes of conversion to
Christianity," says Abdullah Al-Faruque, the press manager of a leading daily
newspaper.

He notes that a visit to any church on Sunday would show that most of the
devotees are poor people.

"Christian missionaries and NGOs are working to convert people in the name of
social service and development works," says Abdur Rahman Mallick, an
educational consultant.

He claims hundreds of NGOs, including World Vision, CARITAS, Young Men's
Christian Association (YMCA) and Rangpur Dianjpur Rehabilitation Sangha (RDRS),
have been involved in preaching activities for long.

"I have no information about increasing Christian population in Bangladesh,"
Ataur Rahman, Secretary of the Ministry of Religious Affairs, told IOL.

"Because there is no department in the Ministry of Religious Affairs to look
into how many people convert into Christian."

Muslims make up 85 percent of Bangladesh's population, making it the third
biggest concentration of Muslims in the world.

Hindus, Buddhists and Christians constitute the remaining 15 percent.

Increasing

Father Linto recognizes that every month a number of people come and convert to
Christianity in his Kakrail Church, the biggest church in the capital Dhaka.

"In Bangladesh, there is no problem to preaching Christianity," he told IOL.

"We get all sorts of support from the government. We are minority but have
influence power to the society."

Father Linto said many schools and colleges are established by the Christian
community like Notrdam College, which is situated in heart of Dhaka, as well
St. Xavier's College.

Thousand of students have been studying in these institutions.

By the 1690's there were only 13 Augustinian churches in Bengal. But now there
are more than five hundred in Bangladesh.

At present 350 fathers and 500 sisters are working for Christians Missionary
under the Kakrail Church alone.

The number of Christians is estimated to stand at nearly two millions, though
the Christian community publicly puts the number at only half million.

In 1947, there were as few as 50,000 Christians before increasing by four-fold
by 1971.

According to government census, the Christian population was 400,000 in 2001.

Christianity came to Bengal initially with the Portuguese in the 16th century.

They built a school and hospital at Hugli, West Bengal of India, where the
Portuguese had obtained permission from Emperor Akbar, a Mughal emperor, to
settle.

They established a monastery in 1959 from where they reached out to other parts
including Dhaka and Chitagong.

Immoral

Christian conversion activities are being done discreetly and without drawing
much attention.

Missionaries have reportedly been using new techniques and strategies to
convert Muslims, which includes using Islamic and Arabic words in their
preaching activities.

For instances, like Muslims, they call Bible as "Injil Sharif" and praying as
Muanjat.

The person converting does not need to change his/her Muslim name.

Maulana Atqur Rahman, President of Bangladesh Masjid Mission, a social
organization, urged the government to intervene and stop religious conversion
through financial support.

"Converting into Christianity through financial support is not acceptable to
humanity," Md. Fazlur Rahman, Additional Secretary of the government and
Director General of Islamic Foundation, a government department for Islamic
publication and Dawah, told IOL.

"We are trying to find out this sort of immoral conversion into Christianity,"
he added.

"As Muslims, we are worried about this sort of conversion and we should find
out ways and means for poor Muslims and tribal people to stop this conversion
process."

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1218650296880&pagename=Zone-English-News/NWELayout