In the Name of Almighty Allah

Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
Assalamualaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuhu

"Allahumma Bariek lana Fie Rajab
wa Sha'baan Wa baliegna Ramadan".

Wa Ba'd:

Ummatal Muslimeen! All Praise and All Glory is due only to Almighty Allah
Subahanahoo Wata'ala Who created man, and taught him how to speak, and He
created the sun and the moon with a set purpose, that you may know the number
of years and the detail of time. And He distinguished certain months over
others; so He honoured the month of Rajab and Sha'baan, and He caused the month
of Sha'baan to between the two great months of Rajab and Ramadan.There has been
a tendency among Muslims to celebrate the 15th of Sha'baan to commemorate the
revelation of verse 142 of Surah Al-Baqara as well as the night of Almighty
Allah Subahanahoo Wata'ala's Mercy and Muhabbat that falls on this very special
night. This is the Night of Destiny - our lives are prolonged or shortened and
rewards and sustenance from Almighty Allah Subahanahoo Wata'ala are
distributed. Verse 142 of Surah Al-Baqara speaks about the changing of
the Qiblah or direction for Salaat from Jerusalem to the Holy Ka'bah in Makkah:

"The fools among the people will say: What has turned them fom the Qiblah to
which they were used?
Say: To Allah belong both the East and the West. He guides whom He will to a
Way that is straight."

The majority of Muslim historians are of the opinion that this incident took
place during the month of Sha'baan. At the time in question mainly the Bani
Isra'il were of the opinion that our Beloved Nabee Sallallahoo Alayhi Wasallam
and the religion of Islam would be just another one of the schools within
Judaism, since he preached a pure monotheism and prayed facing towards
Jerusalem. But Almighty Allah Subahanahoo Wata'ala willed to put an end to this
speculation at the appropriate time. Coincidentally, our Beloved Nabee
Sallallahoo Alayhi Wasallam had the very strong desire to pray facing towards
the Ka'bah. The desire for this change was so intense but being a messenger he
could not pray openly for the change. Knowing what was in his heart and how he
yearned for this change, Almighty Allah Subahanahoo Wata'ala revealed verse 144
of Surah Al-Baqara to His Beloved Nabee Sallallahoo Alayhi Wasallam:

 "We see thee turning of thy face for guidance to the heavens. Now We shall
turn thee to a Qiblah  that shall please thee. Turn then thy face in the
direction of the Sacred Mosque. Wherever you are , turn your faces in that
direction. The People of the Book know well that that is the truth from their
Lord.  Nor is Allah unmindful of what they do."

Fa ya Ayyuhal Muslimeen! This beautiful verse itself speaks of this desire of
our Beloved Nabee Sallallahoo Alayhi Wasallam for the change which he had not
expressed to anyone. Yet Almighty Allah Subahanahoo Wata'ala answered his
wishes. When our Beloved Nabee Sallallahoo Alayhi Wasallam was praying towards
Jerusalem it was not to please the Yahood or the Nasara; as a matter of fact,
he was only obeying the Divine Orders of his Glorious Creator and Sustainer. We
know from history that Salaat was prescribed during the Makkan period.
Sayyidina Jibra'eel Amin Alayhis Salatu Wasallam came to stipulate the times
for prayer and to teach our Beloved Nabee Sallallahoo Alayhi Wasallam how to
pray. He had to follow the movements of Sayyidina Jibra'eel Amin Alayhis Salatu
Wasallam and the direction that Sayyidina Jibra'eel Amin Alayhis Salatu
Wasallam faced at the time was towards Bayt al-Maqdis in Jerusalem.

The claim that our Nabee Sallallahoo Alayhi Wasallam only wanted to attract
followers is unwarranted. If that were the intention he should have faced the
Ka'bah to meet the wishes of the Quraysh who held the Ka'bah as the most sacred
place of worship. The great desire of our Beloved Nabee Sallallahoo Alayhi
Wasallam to pray towards the Ka'bah was manifested in his prayer when he
positioned the Ka'bah between himself and Bayt al-Maqdis in Jerusalem. But to
do so after his Hijrah to Madinah al-Munawwara was impossible and he was
subconsciously probing for some indication to pray in the direction of the
Ka'bah so Almighty Allah Subahanahoo Wata'ala revealed verse 144 of Surah
Al-Baqara with the instruction to change the Qiblah. The change of direction
from Jerusalem to Makkah does not mean in any way whatsoever that Muslims
should forget Bait al-Maqdis as a sacred place. The Holy and Noble Qur'an
confirms that Bait al-Maqdis is not to be abandoned for Almighty Allah
Subahanahoo Wata'ala declares:

 "And never would Allah make your faith of no effect."

O Ummatal Qur'an! When the Qiblah was changed the Muslims thought that the
prayers of those who died prior to the change would not be accepted so Almighty
Allah Subahanahoo Wata'ala revealed the verse to assure them that He will
accept all their prayers.This serves to illustrate the sacredness to the Muslim
Ummah of Bait al-Maqdis which should never be abandoned especially when we
remember that the event of Me'raj or Ascencion had taken place from there. The
change of the Qiblah was to indicate to the Muslims that they were considered a
distinct Ummah. All the previous prophets Alayhim Salatu Wasallam prayed
towards Bait al-Maqdis. If our Beloved Nabee Muhammad Sallallahoo Alayhi
Wasallam had continued to do the same, the distinction meant by Almighty Allah
Subahanahoo Wata'ala for him and his Ummah would not have appeared so
clearly.The change of direction confirmed that Muslims would henceforth be a
distinct Ummah in the sense that they should not lend themselves to
manipulation in every aspect of life whether religious, political, economic or
social. Islam considers all these aspects a part of worship.

 Over and above everything else, it signifies that the Qiblah of the Muslim
Ummah should not be left to others to control and must remain in the hands of
Muslims for it was they who were chosen to establish pure monotheism and the
true concept of worship in the place which was built for the worship and glory
of none other than Almighty Allah Subahanahoo Wata'ala. The month of
Sha'baan is a blessed month wherein our good deeds are taken up to Janna'h and
presented before Almighty Allah Subahanahoo Wata'ala. Regarding the
auspiciousness of this month we are reminded about its great benefits in the
following words: "O servants of Allah! This is the month of Sha'baan, which has
been distinguished for the honour of our Imaan. This is the month for the
rememberance of Almighty Allah Subahanahoo Wata'ala.

O people of Imaan! This is the month for sending Durood to our Beloved Nabee
Muhammad Ibn Abdullah Sallallahoo Alayhi Wasallam. This is the month wherein
our prayers, Duahs and good deeds are accepted and presented before Almighty
Allah Subahanahoo Wata'ala." It has been reported by Anas bin Malik Radiallahu
Ta'ala Anhu that  "When the month of Sha'baan approached, the Muslims devoted
themselves whole heartedly to regular recitation of the Holy and Noble Qur'an
and they gave their Zakat from their wealth to assist the needy and the
destitude during the Auspicious and Holy month of Ramadan. It has been reported
by Abu Hurairah Radiallahu Ta'ala Anhu : "I heard the Beloved of Almighty Allah
saying: "Purify your bodies with fasting and Ibadah during the month of
Sha'baan for the coming month of Ramadan; any servant of Allah who fasts three
days for the Pleasure of Almighty Allah  during the month of Sha'baan will be
forgiven."  It is also said that a true Muhmin's prayer is accepted and Duahs
are granted during five sacred nights of the year i.e. the first night
of Rajab, the 15th night of Sha'baan which is the 'night of destiny'; the night
before Eid-ul-Fitr, the night before Eid-ul-Adha and the blessed night
of Lailatul Qadr.

On the 15th night of Sha'baan Almighty Allah Subahanahoo Wata'ala sets the
destiny of every human being for the coming year and addresses all true
believers by proclaiming: "Is there anyone who will beg for forgiveness for I
will surely grant My forgiveness?  Is there anyone who will repent for I will
accept his or her repentence - and is there anyone who will ask Me for his or
her needs I will grant whatever he or she asks." It is also mentioned in a
tradition that Almighty Allah Subahanahoo Wata'ala will forgive the Ummah of
His Beloved Nabee Muhammad Sallallahoo Alaihi Wasallam except for seven types
of people who will find no reward on the 15th night of Sha'baan. The people
referred to in this tradition are: a magician, a drunkard, a confirmed
adulterer, one who violates relationships, one who is disobedient towards
parents, a fithnah monger, a miser and malicious person who does not speak to a
fellow Muslim for more than three days.

O you who believe! During this wonderful and blessed month of Sha'baan, let us
show our gratitude and Muhabbat for our Glorious Creator and His Beloved Nabee
Sallallahoo Alaihi Wasallam by distributing our Zakat and remembering our less
fortunate brothers and sisters who are suffering under oppression and
repression in Palestine, Iraq, Afghanistan, Bosnia, Chechnya, Kashmir, Kosovo,
throughout the Caucasus regions and the Philippines.  It is reported that our
Beloved Nabee Sallallahoo Alayhi Wasallam said: "The worst things in a man are
frightened miserliness and unrestrained cowardice."  The two go side by side,
the miser and the coward." This is a month for all of us to develop a
consciousness, and to develop an awareness that when Almighty Allah Subahanahoo
Wata'ala blesses us with wealth, there is a share in it for those who are less
fortunate.  Why? Because that is a necessary ingredient in social struggle: to
desire for our brother and sister what we desire for ourselves. We must
understand and assimilate that behaviour.

 Abu Huraira Radiallahu Ta'ala Anho reported that our Beloved Nabee Sallallahoo
Alaihi Wasallam said:  "The generous man is near Almighty Allah, near Janna'h,
near to his fellow men and far from Jahannum, but the miser is far from
Almighty Allah, far from Janna'h far from men and near to Jahannum. Indeed, an
ignorant man who is generous is dearer to Almighty Allah than a worshipper who
is a miser." So, to understand the reasons for the celebration of the middle of
Sha'baan (nisfu ash-Sha'baan or the night of Barat) we must acknowledge: It is
not a festival for indulgence of the appetites; It is not a purely a religious
occasion which requires fasting and prayer. It is most important and imperative
that we remember the essential reasons and their significance; that the Muslims
were made a distinct Ummah, that our Beloved Nabee Muhammad - Rahmatul Liel
Ala'meen Sallallahoo Alayhi Wasallam and his Ummah were made an independent
entity to lead mankind out of darkness and into the light which leads onto the
path of Seerathul Mustaqeem.

Finally I pray to Almighty Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala to accept our Ibadah, our
Duahs, our supplications and all our endeavours, forgive our shortcomings, our
errors and mistakes and to grant us to live by what we say, and not to count us
among those who "say things, they do not do." Ameen!
And Almighty Allah knows best.
Baaarak Allaahu Feekum wa-sal Allaahu wa Sallam 'alaa
Nabiyyina Muhammad Sallallahoo Alayhi Wasallam.

Was Salamualaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuhu
Abdul Hamid

PoEtEsS

"Prayer is the stepping stone of rewards and      success when my life has its
trials and my eyes has its tears"…Zohra Moosa

------------------------------------

{Invite (mankind, O Muhammad ) to the Way of your Lord (i.e. Islam) with wisdom
(i.e. with the Divine Inspiration and the Qur'an) and fair preaching, and argue
with them in a way that is better. Truly, your Lord knows best who has gone
astray from His Path, and He is the Best Aware of those who are guided.} (Holy
Quran-16:125)

{And who is better in speech than he who [says: "My Lord is Allah (believes in
His Oneness)," and then stands straight (acts upon His Order), and] invites
(men) to Allah's (Islamic Monotheism), and does righteous deeds, and says: "I
am one of the Muslims."} (Holy Quran-41:33)

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "By Allah, if
Allah guides one person by you, it is better for you than the best types of
camels." [al-Bukhaaree, Muslim]

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)  also said, "Whoever
calls to guidance will have a reward similar to the reward of the one who
follows him, without the reward of either of them being lessened at all."

Recommended:
http://www.ikhwanweb.com
http://www.islamonline.net
http://www.islam-guide.com
http://www.prophetmuhammadforall.org

All views expressed herein belong to the individuals concerned and do not in
any way reflect the official views of IslamCity unless sanctioned or approved
otherwise.

If your mailbox clogged with mails from IslamCity, you may wish to get a daily
digest of emails by logging-on to http://www.yahoogroups.com to change your
mail delivery settings or email the moderators at [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the
title "change to daily digest". Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: