Dear friends:

Sometimes words are like the cage in which ideas live but cannot really
be truly free (Kahlil Gibran).  We struggle to describe the Orwellian reality
we live
in.  In this land, a new colonial settler from Russia or Poland or
America can roam free, get all sorts of financial gifts (from US and
other taxpayers) and settle on land stolen from people whose ancestors
farmed it and cared for it for 4000 years.  The natives, considered
children of a lesser God, are removed from their lands, live in nearby
countries in refugee camps or live in shrinking concentration camps in
their own homeland.  Where else do we have a nation still being built
on the destruction of other peoples villages, lives, and livelihood?
Where else does a 19 year old white racist able to get away with
insulting and degrading hundreds of dark skinned "others" in words and
deeds that evoke KKK and White Afrikaaner racism? This Orwellian
disease is not confined to Palestine.  It has infected discourses from
Iraq to the US. How else to explain denying an ex-president (Carter)
the podium at his own party convention for speaking the truth? How else
can one explain Vice Presidential Candidate Joe Biden saying he is a
Zionist and joining with others regularly to condemn the victims and
support racism? How else can we explain the billions of US tax money
spent on a country that has the largest number of violations of UN
resolutions and provisions of International and humanitarian laws?
Indeed how to explain a superpower being stripped of its dignity and
its wealth and its reputations around the world by a domestic lobby
working for a foreign country to push for endless wars "on terror" when
they are the ones perpetrating the the worst terror on earth?

Ofcourse we could spend (waste) time exploring the problems but we must
focus on the solutions.  Focusing on solutions is what so many people
here in Palestine (including Palestinians, Israelis, and others) do.
In 2001 when the current uprising started, I started compiling data for
a book envisioning peaceful future based on justice and human rights
for all.  Published in 2004 and other books like it published since
that speak of coexistance and equality in one democratic state
resonated well.  Every day, more people are convinced that there is
simply no other pathway to a durable peace.  Just in the past few days
I interacted with hundreds of fellow Palestinians (Christians and
Muslims), with visiting internationals, and with some Israeli Jews who
continue to cross the foolish walls and other borders that separate
us.  All the facts and opinions offered lead in that general direction.
This is painfully obvious from conversations with people in Gaza,
environmentalists, students at Bethlehem university, professors and
laborers, doctors and beggars, and those in all walks of life here.  So
I think it is time to shed the illusions that some have had in the past
that an "us here, them there" solution is possible. The racist laws in
this apartheid state are simply not sustainable long term.  Peace
cannot be built on injustice; restorative justice is a prerequisite for
peace.

And people of good faith keep working.  A group of Europeans wrode
their bikes around the occupied West Bank in the past few weeks.  You
might want to check out their reports here.

But here is an Action item for the week:
395 individuals signed the petition for protection of Academic freedom
in the case of Dr. Terri Ginsberg at North Carolina State University.
Please read and sign it so we can reach 1000 signatures and submit soon
to the authorities

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/Protect-Academic-Freedom

Mazin Qumsiyeh, PhD

http://qumsiyeh.org

PS: to those who are worried about me, I am doing great.  Students are
smart andlearning, projects are picking up in various areas, I skype
with family remaining in the US almost everyday (voice/video
connections), I meet interesting new people everyday, eat great food,
and have good Mediterranean climate and brisk walks among olive trees
every day, and still trying to "have joyful participation in the sorrows of
this world" :-)
Talk to your Yahoo! Friends via Windows Live Messenger.  Find out how.
http://www.windowslive.com/explore/messenger?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_messenger_yahoo_082008