*The Other War: **Iraq** Vets Bear Witness*

*by CHRIS HEDGES & LAILA AL-ARIAN*

*[from the **July 30, 2007** issue]*

*http://www.thenation.com/docprint.mhtml?i=20070730&s=hedges*
Convoys

Two dozen soldiers interviewed said that this callousness toward Iraqi
civilians was particularly evident in the operation of supply
convoys--operations in which they participated. These convoys are the
arteries that sustain the occupation, ferrying items such as water, mail,
maintenance parts, sewage, food and fuel across Iraq. And these strings of
tractor-trailers, operated by KBR (formerly Kellogg, Brown & Root) and other
private contractors, required daily protection by the US military.
Typically, according to these interviewees, supply convoys consisted of
twenty to thirty trucks stretching half a mile down the road, with a Humvee
military escort in front and back and at least one more in the center.
Soldiers and marines also sometimes accompanied the drivers in the cabs of
the tractor-trailers.

*These convoys, ubiquitous in **Iraq**, were also, to many Iraqis, sources
of wanton destruction. According to descriptions culled from interviews with
thirty-eight veterans who rode in convoys--guarding such runs as Kuwait to
Nasiriya, Nasiriya to Baghdad and Balad to Kirkuk--when these columns of
vehicles left their heavily fortified compounds they usually roared down the
main supply routes, which often cut through densely populated areas,
reaching speeds over sixty miles an hour. Governed by the rule that
stagnation increases the likelihood of attack, convoys leapt meridians in
traffic jams, ignored traffic signals, swerved without warning onto
sidewalks, scattering pedestrians, and slammed into civilian vehicles,
shoving them off the road. Iraqi civilians, including children, were
frequently run over and killed. Veterans said they sometimes shot drivers of
civilian cars that moved into convoy formations or attempted to pass convoys
as a warning to other drivers to get out of the way. *

"A moving target is harder to hit than a stationary one," said Sgt. Ben
Flanders, 28, a National Guardsman from Concord, New Hampshire, who served
in Balad with the 172nd Mountain Infantry for eleven months beginning in
March 2004. Flanders ran convoy routes out of Camp Anaconda, about thirty
miles north of Baghdad. "So speed was your friend. And certainly in terms of
IED detonation, absolutely, speed and spacing were the two things that could
really determine whether or not you were going to get injured or killed or
if they just completely missed, which happened."

*Following an explosion or ambush, soldiers in the heavily armed escort
vehicles often fired indiscriminately in a furious effort to suppress
further attacks, according to three veterans. The rapid bursts from belt-fed
.50-caliber machine guns and SAWs (Squad Automatic Weapons, which can fire
as many as 1,000 rounds per minute) left many civilians wounded or dead.
"One example I can give you, you know, we**'**d be cruising down the road in
a convoy and all of the sudden, an IED blows up," said Spc. Ben Schrader,
27, of Grand Junction, Colorado. He served in Baquba with the 263rd Armor
Battalion, First Infantry Division, from February 2004 to February 2005.
"And, you know, you**'**ve got these scared kids on these guns, and they
just start opening fire. And there could be innocent people everywhere. And
I**'**ve seen this, I mean, on numerous occasions where innocent people died
because we**'**re cruising down and a bomb goes off." *

Several veterans said that IEDs, the preferred weapon of the Iraqi
insurgency, were one of their greatest fears. Since the invasion in March
2003, IEDs have been responsible for killing more US troops--39.2 percent of
the more than 3,500 killed--than any other method, according to the
Brookings Institution, which monitors deaths in Iraq. This past May, IED
attacks claimed ninety lives, the highest number of fatalities from roadside
bombs since the beginning of the war.

*"The second you left the gate of your base, you were always worried," said
Sergeant Flatt. "You were constantly watchful for IEDs. And you could never
see them. I mean, it**'**s just by pure luck who**'**s getting killed and
who**'**s not. If you**'**ve been in firefights earlier that day or that
week, you**'**re even more stressed and insecure to a point where you**'**re
almost trigger-happy." Sergeant Flatt was among twenty-four veterans who
said they had witnessed or heard stories from those in their unit of unarmed
civilians being shot or run over by convoys. These incidents, they said,
were so numerous that many were never reported. *

*Sergeant Flatt recalled an incident in January 2005 when a convoy drove
past him on one of the main highways in **Mosul**. "A car following got too
close to their convoy," he said. "Basically, they took shots at the car.
Warning shots, I don**'**t know. But they shot the car. Well, one of the
bullets happened to just pierce the windshield and went straight into the
face of this woman in the car. And she was--well, as far as I
know--instantly killed. I didn**'**t pull her out of the car or anything.
Her son was driving the car, and she had her--she had three little girls in
the back seat. And they came up to us, because we were actually sitting in a
defensive position right next to the hospital, the main hospital in **Mosul*
*, the civilian hospital. And they drove up and she was obviously dead. And
the girls were crying." *

On July 30, 2004, Sergeant Flanders was riding in the tail vehicle of a
convoy on a pitch-black night, traveling from Camp Anaconda south to Taji,
just north of Baghdad, when his unit was attacked with small-arms fire and
RPGs (rocket-propelled grenades). He was about to get on the radio to warn
the vehicle in front of him about the ambush when he saw his gunner unlock
the turret and swivel it around in the direction of the shooting. He fired
his MK-19, a 40-millimeter automatic grenade launcher capable of discharging
up to 350 rounds per minute. "He's just holding the trigger down and it
wound up jamming, so he didn't get off as many shots maybe as he wanted,"
Sergeant Flanders recalled. "But I said, 'How many did you get off?' 'Cause
I knew they would be asking that. He said, 'Twenty-three.' He launched
twenty-three grenades....

"I remember looking out the window and I saw a little hut, a little Iraqi
house with a light on.... We were going so fast and obviously your
adrenaline's--you're like tunnel vision, so you can't really see what's
going on, you know? And it's dark out and all that stuff. I couldn't really
see where the grenades were exploding, but it had to be exploding around the
house or maybe even hit the house. Who knows? Who knows? And we were the
last vehicle. We can't stop."

Convoys did not slow down or attempt to brake when civilians inadvertently
got in front of their vehicles, according to the veterans who described
them. Sgt. Kelly Dougherty, 29, from CaƱon City, Colorado, was based at the
Talil Air Base in Nasiriya with the Colorado National Guard's 220th Military
Police Company for a year beginning in February 2003. She recounted one
incident she investigated in January 2004 on a six-lane highway south of
Nasiriya that resembled numerous incidents described by other veterans.

*"It**'**s like very barren desert, so most of the people that live there,
they**'**re nomadic or they live in just little villages and have, like,
camels and goats and stuff," she recalled. "There was then a little boy--I
would say he was about 10 because we didn**'**t see the accident; we
responded to it with the investigative team--a little Iraqi boy and he was
crossing the highway with his, with three donkeys. A military convoy,
transportation convoy driving north, hit him and the donkeys and killed all
of them. When we got there, there were the dead donkeys and there was a
little boy on the side of the road. "We saw him there and, you know, we were
upset because the convoy didn**'**t even stop," she said. "They really,
judging by the skid marks, they hardly even slowed down. But, I mean, that**
'**s basically--basically, your order is that you never stop." *

*Among supply convoys, there were enormous disparities based on the
nationality of the drivers, according to Sergeant Flanders, who estimated
that he ran more than 100 convoys in Balad, **Baghdad**, Falluja and Baquba.
When drivers were not American, the trucks were often old, slow and prone to
breakdowns, he said. The convoys operated by Nepalese, Egyptian or Pakistani
drivers did not receive the same level of security, although the danger was
more severe because of the poor quality of their vehicles. American drivers
were usually placed in convoys about half the length of those run by foreign
nationals and were given superior vehicles, body armor and better security.
Sergeant Flanders said troops disliked being assigned to convoys run by
foreign nationals, especially since, when the aging vehicles broke down,
they had to remain and protect them until they could be recovered. *

"It just seemed insane to run civilians around the country," he added. "I
mean, Iraq is such a security concern and it's so dangerous and yet we have
KBR just riding around, unarmed.... Remember those terrible judgments that
we made about what Iraq would look like post conflict? I think this is
another incarnation of that misjudgment, which would be that, Oh, it'll be
fine. We'll put a Humvee in front, we'll put a Humvee in back, we'll put a
Humvee in the middle, and we'll just run with it.

*"It was just shocking to me.... I was Army trained and I had a good gunner
and I had radios and I could call on the radios and I could get an airstrike
if I wanted to. I could get a Medevac.... And here these guys are just
tooling around. And these guys are, like, they**'**re promised the world.
They**'**re promised $120,000, tax free, and what kind of people take those
jobs? Down-on-their-luck-type people, you know? Grandmothers. There were
grandmothers there. I escorted a grandmother there and she did great. We
went through an ambush and one of her guys got shot, and she was cool, calm
and collected. Wonderful, great, good for her. What the hell is she doing
there? *

"We're using these vulnerable, vulnerable convoys, which probably piss off
more Iraqis than it actually helps in our relationship with them," Flanders
said, "just so that we can have comfort and air-conditioning and
sodas--great--and PlayStations and camping chairs and greeting cards and
stupid T-shirts that say, Who's Your Baghdaddy?"