Focus:  Being a Revert, and a Woman ©
By Jeanette Mughal

The title suggests separateness, individuality rather than the usual term of
calling all women in Islam, Muslimahs.

The dichotomy of being a revert to Islam is as unnecessary as the cultural
dominance of certain ethnic groups within any of our religious communities.
Most reverts are seen as a lower caste of Islam because of a lack of fluency in
Arabic or a valid ethnic group to identify with (unless through marriage).  In
other words, we have more to prove.

In the USA, one-third of Muslims are of African-American descent.  From
personal experiences, this fact does not (for some) make you a “true Muslim”.
For some, they discriminately accept the imagined general consensus that a true
Muslim is a white-skinned Arab.  If one reflected back to our first muezzin,
Bilal ibn Rabah (RA), of Ethopian origin yet born in Arabia, if not at the
insistence of our Prophet (SAW), he would not have been given the chance to
call all to prayers.  Despite the numerous lectures and reassurances on what is
Sunnah, race still plays a vital role in our Islamic society especially when
the focus on selecting someone for marriage.

The Revert

Through my years of being in my communities here in the US, or living for some
time in Pakistan, most men choose white-skinned women (if not their own
native-born women).  Most Muslim men select non-Muslim women (before their
conversion) to marry them for their citizenship alliance to a First World
country.  It is the usual consensus that non-Muslim women who convert for
marriage are dispensable.  There is less likelihood for that man to undergo any
type of retribution from family members if he got rid of her after he has
fulfilled his own personal agenda.  There have been native-born Muslimahs who
have been discarded but are usually protected by the ethnic group that she has
more lineage or connection.

For the revert who has been discarded, she will in time, often welcome negative
comments and ridicule.  A few years ago, I met a revert sister during a women’s
workshop in Washington state had just recently been given a divorce.  She spoke
to me about her divorce after enduring years of mistreatment by her Arab
husband.  I was more shocked at her relaying the harsh words stated to her by
some of the men (associated with the husband) who told her “to go back” and
“that she had no reason to be Muslim anymore”.  Not only did the sister endure
years of mistreatment but she was being teased “back to her own kind”.  I still
think about her, try to keep her in my dua, and will never forget how much I
was not in a capacity to do more than show her my support.  My first husband
said the very same thing to me, except for our children who knew no other life
than being Muslim—culturally and spiritually.

Reverting from Reversion

Most reverts will tell you that to revert back to being a Christian is like
saying that your skin will remain white after bleaching.  Your bleached skin
will only remain lighter if you continue to use the cream; but most of us know
that this chemical can harm your skin and cause irreparable damage.  For some
of us to “return” will not be wholly acceptable—we will carry the stain of
having left a religion for another then returning.  To what?  Usually the
stigma of being “temporarily lost”, and still lost.  After all, we have been
tainted with a religion; possibly have been brain-washed—we would have been
outcastes from one religion to another.

Non-Muslim families are generally not accepting of family members who have left
their religion for Islam.  The revert endures years of non-communication with
their own family members, and unaccepted within their newfound religion (by a
few).  When reverts try to remain to what is found to be true (Islam) despite
personal heartache, beliefs are challenged by ridicule and rumor.

Divorcees or reverts can become as desirable as lepers.  If the subject of
remarriage is addressed, often reverts are subject to marriages that is a
multiple or muta’a type.  With a divorce, the revert continues to endure more
trials by both environments.  It is often their faith and the few strong
believers that Allah SWT brings forth to her (or him) for support that brings
comfort and relief.

There is truly no return!

Searching for Answers

Personally, I cannot give anyone the final outcome on choices to be made or the
perfect road to take in this life; but, developing ones self-esteem through
continuous prayers is a good plan.  Nothing is perfect!  To strive for
perfection through days of heartache then joy is not a fault in judgment but a
strengthening of ones character and pure reliance on Allah SWT.

Islam was built on the foundation of conversion from the pagan to the
perfection of our faith.  It is this faith that one must give to every one new
to Islam.  Regardless of how one came to be Muslim—the fact remains that Allah
SWT opened the door for one to revert to Islam.  I have never regretted being
Muslim, despite the personal challenges I have faced or seen in others.

Reference:

http://www.adherents.com/largecom/com_islam_usa.html

http://copyright.ala.org/ala/home/copyright.htm

http://www.answers.com/topic/islam-in-the-united-states

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_the_United_States

http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/198304/the.first.muezzin.htm

Focus:  Being a Revert, and a Woman © September 14, 2008
By Jeanette Mughal
EdD candidate in Educational Leadership
**Permission to use, copy, and distribute article delivered from this World
Wide Web server is hereby granted for private, non-commercial and education
purposes only, provided that the above copyright notice appears with the
following notice: this document may be reprinted and distributed for
non-commercial and educational purposes only, and not for resale.  No resale
use may be made of material on this web site at any time.   All other rights
reserved.

j786SURAH22

------------------------------------

{Invite (mankind, O Muhammad ) to the Way of your Lord (i.e. Islam) with wisdom
(i.e. with the Divine Inspiration and the Qur'an) and fair preaching, and argue
with them in a way that is better. Truly, your Lord knows best who has gone
astray from His Path, and He is the Best Aware of those who are guided.} (Holy
Quran-16:125)

{And who is better in speech than he who [says: "My Lord is Allah (believes in
His Oneness)," and then stands straight (acts upon His Order), and] invites
(men) to Allah's (Islamic Monotheism), and does righteous deeds, and says: "I
am one of the Muslims."} (Holy Quran-41:33)

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "By Allah, if
Allah guides one person by you, it is better for you than the best types of
camels." [al-Bukhaaree, Muslim]

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)  also said, "Whoever
calls to guidance will have a reward similar to the reward of the one who
follows him, without the reward of either of them being lessened at all."

Recommended:
http://www.ikhwanweb.com
http://www.islamonline.net
http://www.islam-guide.com
http://www.prophetmuhammadforall.org

All views expressed herein belong to the individuals concerned and do not in
any way reflect the official views of IslamCity unless sanctioned or approved
otherwise.

If your mailbox clogged with mails from IslamCity, you may wish to get a daily
digest of emails by logging-on to http://www.yahoogroups.com to change your
mail delivery settings or email the moderators at [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the
title "change to daily digest". Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: