*

700 percent profit
** *

**

DURING the caliphate of Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) there was a
severe famine. The people of Madina were suffering due to shortage of food.

A caravan of a thousand camels loaded with a large stock of food grains
belonging to Uthman (may Allah be pleased with him) arrived from Shaam
(Syria). Several merchants offered to buy all of it.

He asked them what profit they would pay. "Five per cent," they said. He
answered that he could get higher profit than that. They began to argue with
him, saying that they did not know of any merchant who would offer him more
than their quote.

He said to them, "I know of one who repays a profit of more than seven
hundred to a dirham." He then recited the verse of the Noble Qur'an in which
Allah mentioned this profit. "The likeness of those who spend their wealthin
the Way of Allah, is as the likeness of a grain (of corn); it grows seven
ears, and each ear has a hundred grains. Allah gives manifold increase to
whom He pleases. And Allah is All-Sufficient for His creatures' needs,
All-Knower." *(Qur'an, 2:261)*

"O traders! Bear witness with me that I donate all this to the poor people
of Madinah!" said Uthman (may Allah be pleased with him).

Dear readers, what ever we give for the sake of Allah is really ours and
whatever we keep with us will one day be someone else's. Let us follow the
footsteps of our Prophet and the pious Sahabah, with whom Allah was pleased
with, by helping the needy ones.

   * Permission is granted to circulate among private individuals and
groups, to post on Internet sites and to publish in full text and subject
title in not-for-profit publications.** *

<<image004.gif>>

<<image003.jpg>>

<<image002.gif>>

<<image001.jpg>>