The beginning of the Islamic Year
By Shaykh Muhammed bin Saalih Al-Uthaimeen
This week marks the beginning of a new Islamic year, which was initiated after
the Hijrah, or emigration, of the Prophet sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam and
which marked the formation of the first Muslim nation within an independent
Islamic territory under the rule of Muslims.
The Muslims had no formal annual calendar until the caliphate of 'Umar bin
al-Khattab, May Allah be pleased with him. In the third or fourth year of his
caliphate, 'Umar, may Allah be pleased with him, received a message from Abu
Moosaa al-Ash'ari, may Allah be pleased with him, who suggested that their
future correspondence be confirmed with the appropriate date.
Therefore, 'Umar, may Allah be pleased with him, gathered some of the surviving
companions of the Prophet sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam and consulted them on
this matter. Some of them suggested adopting the Persian Calendar; others
proposed adopting the Roman Calendar; others still proposed that the Muslims
should form their own calendar and that it should start from the birth of the
Prophet sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam while a final group believed that should
start from his death.
After a discussion they, may Allah be pleased with them all, agreed unanimously
to adopt the position of those who held that the Islamic Calendar should start
from when the Prophet (saw) emigrated from Makkah to Madinah and that the first
month of this new calendar be that of Al –Muharram. This is because
Al-Muharram. This is because Al-Muharram is a sacred month and because it
follows Dhu'l-Hijjah which is the month in which the Muslims perform the Hajj,
or the pilgrimage, which is the last of the five pillars of Islam that was
enjoined upon the Muslims. Al-Muharram also follows the month in which the
Ansaar ( the Madinan supporters of the Prophet (saw) pledged allegiance to the
Prophet (saw) which was prior to his migration to Madinah. This pledge of
allegiance was one of the introductory acts of the emigration itself and
therefore Al-Muharram was deemed the most suitable month to start the Islamic
Calendar by the companions of the Prophet (saw).
It is truly saddening that some Muslims have chosen to use the Gregorian
Calendar instead of the Hijri calendar, the Gregorian Calendar has no relation
with Islam and although it has been in existence for longer than that of the
Hijri Calendar, that is no excuse for the Muslims to adopt it. It is well known
that the companions of the Prophet (saw) would hate that any Muslim would use
the Roman or Persian Calendar.
We have just ushered in the new Hijri year. Allah said that which translates
as: "Indeed, the number of months with Allah is twelve [lunar] months in the
register of Allah [from] the day He created the heavens and the earth; of
these, four are sacred. That is the correct religion [i.e. way], so do not
wrong yourselves during them…" (At-Tawbah: 36).
These are the months that Allah has appointed for the whole of mankind. He has
said that which translates as; "They ask you [O Muhammad], about the new moons.
Say 'they are measurements of time for the people and for Hajj (pilgrimage)."
(Al-Baqarah: 189).
Therefore, we know that these months, based on the lunar calendar, were
appointed for all of mankind and not just for the Arabs. This is due to the
fact that the lunar months can very easily be detected and calculated by the
sighting of the crescent-moon, which marks the end of the month and the
beginning of a new one.
This is not the case with the Gregorian Calendar, which does not rely on any
logical or visible signs as regards its calculation of months; rather, each
month in this calendar ranges between 28 and 31 days without a single logical
reason for such variation.
Dear Muslims! Allah has appointed the Islamic Calendar for all mankind. When
Imaam Ahmad was asked about the Persian Calendar, he showed extreme abhorrence
towards it.
O Muslims! We are in the new Hijri year. It is not from the Sunnah to celebrate
it or to congratulate one another on its advent. For the Muslims, the passage
of years does not constitute a real cause of happiness; rather, what counts is
the amount of time spent in obedience to Allah during these years. The years
that have passed will be considered as successful if they were spent in
obedience to Allah and miserable if they were spent in disobedience of Allah.
We must bring ourselves to account, redeem ourselves from our bad deeds and
duly perform our responsibilities towards our wives, children and relatives.
Servants of Allah! Fear Him and perform the responsibilities about which you
will be questioned on the Day of Resurrection. Allah the Almighty says that
which translates as: " O you who have believed, protect yourselves and your
families from a Fire whose fuel is people and stones, over which are
(appointed) angels, harsh and severe, they do not disobey Allah in what He
commands them but do what they are commanded." (At-Tahreem: 6)
Discharge responsibilities properly and known that your limbs will testify
against you on the Day of Resurrection. Allah says that which
Translates as: "Until, when they reach it, their hearing and their eyes and
their skins will testify against them of what they used to do. And they will
say to their skins, 'Why have you testified against us?' They will say, 'We
were made to speak by Allah, who has made everything speak; and He created you
the first time, and to Him you are returned. And you were not covering [i.e.
protecting] yourselves [By fearing Allah] lest you hearing testify against you
or your sight or your skins, but you assumed that Allah does not know much of
what you do. And that was your assumption which your assumed about your Lord.
It has brought you to ruin, and you have become among the losers." (Fusillat:
20-23).
Servants of Allah! The advent of every new year is marked by many Muslims with
sincere resolutions and plans to improve and become closer to their Lord, but
the days and hours slip away while the people's conditions remain the same, the
inevitable result of such failures will be loss and disgrace in this world and
the next. Therefore, we must invest our time in obedience to Allah and make
sure that our spiritual condition is improving from year to year; for the more
time runs away from us, the closer we are drawing to our graves.
O servants of Allah! I swear by Allah that improvements in our worldly lives do
us absolutely no good if our spiritual lives are not improving at the same
time. I also swear that none can attain honour and dignity without submitting
to the Lord of the Worlds. Safety, tranquility and welfare cannot be attained
except by adopting the methodology of the messengers of Allah. Be very clear
that if any of you see welfare and pleasure accompanied with sins and
deviation, then this is definitely a mere respite that has been given by Allah
ahead of a total ruin.
Thus, we must all stand firm in the obedience of Allah in order to protect
ourselves from His punishment. Allah the Almighty says that which translates
as: "…And turn to Allah in repentance, all of you, O believers that you might
succeed." (An-Noor: 31).
O people! Fear Allah; be aware of the ultimate wisdom of Allah in who He
chooses as messengers from angels and mankind. Be aware also of the fact that
He favours certain times and places over others. Allah favoured Makkah over all
other places and chose Madinah, the abode of the Prophet's migration, next to
Makkah in preference, after this, the next most virtuous place in the sight of
Allah id Bayt Al-Maqdis, or Jerusalem, which was the abode of the majority of
His prophets. Allah has also favoured certain months, days and nights more than
others. The number of months is twelve, as decreed by Allah when He created the
heavens and the earth. Among these twelve are four sacred months, our spiritual
[...]
Makkah in preference, after this, the next most virtuous place in sight of
Allah is Bayt Al-Maqdis, or Jerusalem, which was the abode of the majority of
His prophets. Allah has also favoured certain months, days and nights more than
others.
The number of months is twelve, as decreed by Allah when He created the heavens
and the earth. Among these twelve are four sacred months,  Dhu'l-Qidah,
Dhul-Hijjah, and Al-Muharram, which are successive and the month of Rajab that
comes between Jumada Al-Aakhirah and Sha'baan. The best day which the sun rises
on is Friday and the night of Al-Qadr is more virtuous than a thousand months.
Therefore, we must all esteem all that which Allah has magnified.
The scholars of Islam maintain that the rewards for good deeds are multiplied
in times and places which are favoured by Allah and vice versa for bad deeds.
The proof of this is from Allah's saying which translates as: "They ask you
concerning the sacred month, 'Fighting therein is great [sin], but averting
[people] from the way of Allah and disbelief in Him and [preventing access to]
the Sacred Mosque [in Makkah] and the expulsion of its people there from are
greater [evil] in the sight of Allah. And Fitnah [Polytheism and Disbelief] is
worse than killing'. And they will continue to fight you until they turn you
back from your religion if they are able. And whoever of you reverts from his
religion [to disbelief] and dies while he is a disbeliever – for those, their
deeds have become worthless in this world and the Hereafter, and those are the
companions of the Fire; they will abide therein eternally." (Al-Baqarah: 217)
Allah the Almighty says concerning the Sacred Mosque in Makkah that which
translates as:                          "Indeed, those who have disbelieved and
avert [people] from the way of Allah and from the Sacred Mosque [in Makkah],
which We made for the people – equal are the resident therein and one from
outside; and whoever intends [a deed] therein of deviation [in religion] or
wrongdoing – We will make him taste of a painful punishment." (Al-Hajj: 25).
O people! Do not wrong yourselves during the Sacred Months. Stay well within
the limits defined by Allah, fulfill all His obligations, shun all His
prohibitions and fulfill the rights of the people.
Be aware that Satan has taken it upon himself to use all necessary means to
seduce all of Allah's servants, except those who are sincerely devout to Allah.
Satan is keen to distract people from righteousness and divert their attention
away from Allah's religion and towards vice and evil. If Satan notices that a
person is inclined to righteousness, he will use all available means to
discourage and hinder that person from doing any good deed, if he fails in
this, he will soon devise another plot against this person and so forth. Satan
starts with attempting to seduce a person into committing the most destructive
of  sins, one is easily led by Satan to more destructive ones, until such a
person may eventually leave the religion altogether.
Servants of Allah! Beware of the tricks and evil plans of Satan. Know that he
takes many different approaches to seduce people; either through sowing doubts
in their souls concerning the unity of Allah; diverting them from performing
the prayer and belittling its importance; inducing people to withhold zakah, or
obligatory charity, or spend it in ways other than that demanded by Allah;
tempting people into indulging in acts and sayings that render their fastings
null ad void; hindering  them in ungratefulness and maltreatment of their in
ungratefulness and maltreatment of their parents and severing family ties;
luring them into deceit and dishonesty by committing betrayal and fraud;
enticing them into blind materialism through unlawful earnings such as
interest-based transactions, extortion, bribery, etc; and a countless number of
other avenues that will lead to a person's utter ruin.
After Satan has lead a person astray, he abandons them, at the very time when
they are most in need of a supporter! Take heed of Allah's saying regarding
Satan's delusion of Adam and Eve when they lived in Paradise and were permitted
to eat all its fruits except the fruits of a certain tree, which translates as:
                  "O Adam, dwell you and your wife in Paradise and eat from
wherever you will but do not approach this tree, lest you be among the
wrongdoers." (Al-A'raf: 19).
But Satan tempted them by saying that which translates as: "but Shaytan
whispered to them to make apparent in them that which was concealed from them
of their private parts. He said 'Your Lord did not forbid you this tree except
that you become angels or become of the immortal'. And he swore [by Allah] to
them, 'Indeed I am to you from among the sincere advisers'. So he made them
fall, through deception. And when they tasted of the tree, their private parts
became apparent to them, and they began to fasten together over themselves the
leaves of Paradise. And their Lord called to them, 'Did I not forbid you from
that tree and tell you that Satan is to you a clear enemy?" (Al-Araaf: 20-22).
This means that Satan degraded them and made them become relegated from the
superior ranks of obedience. Another example of Satan's deception and
subsequent abandonment is when he urged the Quraysh, which was the tribe of the
People (saw), to go to Badr, which is a place between Makkah and Madinah, and
fight the disbelievers – and turning his back on them. Allah says that which
translates as:
"And [remember] when Satan made their deeds pleasing to them and said, 'No one
can overcome you today from among the people, and instead, I m your protector'.
But when the two forces sighted each other, he turned on his heels and said: '
Indeed I am disassociated from you. Indeed I fear Allah. And Allah is severe in
penalty." (Al-Anfaal: 48).
Here is yet another example of Satan forsaking man after deluding him. Which
translates as.
"… Like the example of Satan when he says to man 'Disbelieve.' But when he
disbelieves, he says, 'Indeed I am disassociated from you. Indeed I fear Allah,
Lord of the Worlds'. So the outcome for both of them is that they will he in
the Fire, abiding eternally therein. And that is the recompense of the
wrongdoers." (Al-Hashr: 16-17).
Servants of Allah! What you are feeling in terms of reluctance to perform good
deeds and carelessness towards your bad deeds is only a result of the trickery
of Satan. When you feel like this, you must seek the protection of Allah from
Satan, as this is the only way to achieve salvation.
Allah the Almighty says that which translates as: "And if an evil suggestion
comes to you from Satan, then seek refuge in Allah. Indeed, those who fear
Allah – when an impulse touches them from Satan, they remember [Him] and at
once they have insight." (Al-A'raaf: 200-201).

 http://www.al-burhan.co.uk/application/Articles/English/ManhajMethodology/tabid/205/Default.aspx