"There is close cooperation and the Indians respect Israeli systems and our
experience in fighting terror"

Israel overtakes Russia as main defence supplier to India
Press Trust of India
Sunday, February 15, 2009, (Jerusalem)
http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/story.aspx?id=NEWEN20090083666

Israel has emerged as India's largest defence supplier, overtaking Russia, as
Tel Aviv has signed defence deals worth a whopping $9 billion with New Delhi
during the past decade, a media report in Jerusalem said on Sunday.

"There is close cooperation and the Indians respect Israeli systems and our
experience in fighting terror," a defence official was quoted as saying by The
Jerusalem Post. Russia had averaged sales of $ 875 million annually to India
for the past 40 years.

In the wake of recent Mumbai terror attacks, India has also purchased from the
Jewish state the aerostat radar system to help defend the country's coastline
in a deal valued at $600 million, the daily said.

The radars will be deployed in strategic points to provide advance warning
against incoming enemy aircraft and missiles, the report said.

The EL/M-2083 Aerostat radars are a simpler version of the Green Pine radar,
made by Israel Aerospace Industries, and used by the Arrow missile defence
system.

The phased-array radars are mounted on blimp-like balloons tethered to the
ground and capable of detecting intrusions earlier than ground based radar
systems.

With Regards

Abi

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because
of those who look on and do nothing"

- Albert Einstein