U.S. Financial Aid To Israel: Figures, Facts, and Impact

Summary
      Benefits to Israel of U.S. Aid Since 1949 (As of November 1, 1997) Cost
to U.S. Taxpayers of U.S. Aid to Israel

      Foreign Aid Grants and Loans: $74,157,600,000

      Other U.S. Aid (12.2% of Foreign Aid): $9,047,227,200

      Interest to Israel from Advanced Payments: $1,650,000,000

      Grand Total: $84,854,827,200

      Total Benefits per Israeli: $14,630
      Grand Total: $84,854,827,200

      Interest Costs Borne by U.S: $49,936,680,000

      Total Cost to U.S. Taxpayers: $134,791,507,200

      Total Taxpayer Cost per Israeli: $23,240

Special Reports:

  a.. Congress Watch: A Conservative Total for U.S. Aid to Israel: $91
Billion-and Counting
  b.. Congressional Research Report on Israel: US Foreign Assistance by Clyde
Mark (213K pdf file)
  c.. U.S. Aid To Israel: The Strategic Functions
  d.. U.S. Aid to Israel: What U.S. Taxpayer Should Know
  e.. U.S. Aid to Israel: Interpreting the 'Strategic Relationship'
  f.. The Cost of Israel to U.S. Taxpayers: True Lies About U.S. Aid to Israel

U.S. Aid to Israel: What U.S. Taxpayer Should Know

by Tom Malthaner

This morning as I was walking down Shuhada Street in Hebron, I saw graffiti
marking the newly painted storefronts and awnings. Although three months past
schedule and 100 percent over budget, the renovation of Shuhada Street was
finally completed this week. The project manager said the reason for the delay
and cost overruns was the sabotage of the project by the Israeli settlers of
the Beit Hadassah settlement complex in Hebron. They broke the street lights,
stoned project workers, shot out the windows of bulldozers and other heavy
equipment with pellet guns, broke paving stones before they were laid and now
have defaced again the homes and shops of Palestinians with graffiti. The
settlers did not want Shuhada St. opened to Palestinian traffic as was agreed
to under Oslo 2. This renovation project is paid for by USAID funds and it
makes me angry that my tax dollars have paid for improvements that have been
destroyed by the settlers.

Most Americans are not aware how much of their tax revenue our government sends
to Israel. For the fiscal year ending in September 30, 1997, the U.S. has given
Israel $6.72 billion: $6.194 billion falls under Israel's foreign aid allotment
and $526 million comes from agencies such as the Department of Commerce, the
U.S. Information Agency and the Pentagon. The $6.72 billion figure does not
include loan guarantees and annual compound interest totaling $3.122 billion
the U.S. pays on money borrowed to give to Israel. It does not include the cost
to U.S. taxpayers of IRS tax exemptions that donors can claim when they donate
money to Israeli charities. (Donors claim approximately $1 billion in Federal
tax deductions annually. This ultimately costs other U.S. tax payers $280
million to $390 million.)

 When grant, loans, interest and tax deductions are added together for the
fiscal year ending in September 30, 1997, our special relationship with Israel
cost U.S. taxpayers over $10 billion.

Since 1949 the U.S. has given Israel a total of $83.205 billion. The interest
costs borne by U.S. tax payers on behalf of Israel are $49.937 billion, thus
making the total amount of aid given to Israel since 1949 $133.132 billion.
This may mean that U.S. government has given more federal aid to the average
Israeli citizen in a given year than it has given to the average American
citizen.

I am angry when I see Israeli settlers from Hebron destroy improvements made to
Shuhada Street with my tax money. Also, it angers me that my government is
giving over $10 billion to a country that is more prosperous than most of the
other countries in the world and uses much of its money for strengthening its
military and the oppression of the Palestinian people.

http://www.newsnet14.com/2009/01/us-aid-to-israel-what-us-taxpayer-should-know/