Kissing Upon meeting
            Question:

            There is a trend of the youth kissing one another on the cheeks,
upon every meeting and every day, and this trend has spread amongst the elders
and in the masjid and in the rows, is this in opposition to the sunnah or is
there no harm in it, or is it a bidda' or is it a sin, or is it permissible? We
would like the legislative ruling in detail (regarding this matter)and likewise
the (ruling of) kissing upon the shoulder?
            Answer:

            What is legislated upon meeting is to give salaam and to shake
hands, and if the meeting is after a journey then what is legislated is
hugging, for it is confirmed from the authority of Anas, may Allah be pleased
with him, he said:

            "The companions of the prophet sallahu alayhi wa salam when they
used to meet each other they would shake hands with each other, and if they
returned from a journey they would hug."

            as for kissing of the cheeks then we do not know in the sunnah that
which points to it.

            And tawfeeq is with Allah, and may Allah send salaam upon our
prophet Muhammad his family and companions.

            Permanent Committee for Research and Verdicts

            Fataawaa al-Lajnah ad-Daa'imah, Q.3 Fatwa No. 20222
http://sahab.net/forums/showthread.php?t=362296
            Translated by Umm Mujaahid Naheeda bint Abdul Khaaliq bin Muhammad
Faadil

http://fatwaislam.com/fis/index.cfm?scn=fd&ID=910