Pigs Meat

Why does Islam forbid pork, when the pig is one of the creations of God?

Praise be to Allaah. Firstly: Our Lord has forbidden eating pork in definitive
terms. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Say (O Muhammad): I find not in that which has been revealed to me anything
forbidden to be eaten by one who wishes to eat it, unless it be Maytah (a dead
animal) or blood poured forth (by slaughtering or the like), or the flesh of
swine (pork); for that surely, is impure or impious (unlawful) meat (of an
animal) which is slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than Allaah (or has been
slaughtered for idols, or on which Allaah’s Name has not been mentioned while
slaughtering)” [al-An’aam 6:145]
By the mercy of Allaah and His kindness towards us, Allaah has permitted us to
eat all good things, and He has not forbidden anything but those that are
impure. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“…he allows them as lawful At‑Tayyibaat (i.e. all good and lawful as regards
things, deeds, beliefs, persons and foods), and prohibits them as unlawful
Al‑Khabaa’ith (i.e. all evil and unlawful as regards things, deeds, beliefs,
persons and foods)” [al-A’raaf 7:157]
We do not doubt for an instant that the pig is a dirty and filthy animal, and
that eating it is harmful to man. Moreover it lives on dirt and filth, and it
is something that is off-putting to those of a sound nature who refuse to touch
it, because eating it is either a cause or a sign of a person’s oddness.
Secondly: With regard to the physical harm caused by eating pork, modern
science has proved a number of things, such as the following:
Pork is regarded as one of the kinds of meat that contain the most cholesterol,
an increase of which in the bloodstream leads to an increased likelihood of
blocked arteries. The fatty acids in pork are also of an unusual formation,
when compared with the fatty acids in other types of food, which makes them
more easily absorbed by the body, thus increasing cholesterol levels.
Pork meat and pork fat contribute to the spread of cancers of the colon,
rectum, prostate and blood.
Pork meat and pork fat contribute to obesity and related diseases that are
difficult to treat.
Eating pork leads to scabies, allergies and stomach ulcers.
Eating pork causes lung infections which result from tapeworms, lungworms and
microbial infections of the lungs.
The most serious danger of eating pork is that pork contains tapeworms which
may grow to a length of 2-3 meters. The growth of the eggs of these worms in
the human body may lead to insanity and hysteria if they grow in the area of
the brain. If they grow in the region of the heart that may lead to high blood
pressure and heart attacks. Another kind of worm that is to be found in pork is
the trichinosis worm that cannot be killed by cooking, the growth of which in
the body may lead to paralysis and skin
rashes.
                                                 The doctors have confirmed
that tapeworm disease is regarded as one of the serious diseases that may
result from eating pork. It may develop in the small intestine and after several
 months may grow into a large worm whose body is composed of a thousand
segments, with a length of 4-10 meters, which lives alone in the intestine of
the infected person and part of it may appear when he defecates. When the pig
swallows and ingests its eggs, they enter the tissues and muscles in the form
of larvae sacs containing fluid and the head of the tapeworm. When a person
eats infected pork, the larva turns into a complete worm in the intestine.
These worms cause weakness and vitamin B12 deficiency, which leads to a
specific type of anaemia, which may in turn cause nervous problems. In some
cases the larvae may reach the brain, causing convulsions, increased pressure
within the brain, epilepsy and even
paralysis.
                                      Eating pork that is not
 thoroughly cooked may also lead to trichinosis (infestation with a hairlike
nematode worm). When these parasites reach the small intestine, three to five
days later many larvae appear which enter the intestine and reach the blood,
from which they reach most of the tissues of the body. The larvae move to the
muscles and form cysts there, and the patient suffers intense muscle pains. The
disease may develop into infection of the cerebral membrane and brain, and
infections of the heart muscle, lungs, kidneys and nerves. It may be a fatal
disease in rare cases.                                                      It
is well known that there are some diseases that are unique to humans and are
nor shared with any other animals except pigs, such as rheumatism and joint
pain. Allaah indeed spoke the truth when He said (interpretation of the
meaning):
“He has forbidden you only the Maytah (dead animals), and blood, and the flesh
of swine, and that which is slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than Allaah
(or has been slaughtered for idols, on which Allaah’s Name has not been
mentioned while slaughtering). But if one is forced by necessity without
willful disobedience nor transgressing due limits, then there is no sin on him.
Truly, Allaah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful” [al-Baqarah 2:173]
These are some of the harmful effects of eating pork. Perhaps after studying
them you will not have any doubts that it is forbidden. We hope that this will
be the first step in your being guided towards the true religion. So stop,
research, look and think, objectively and fairly, seeking only to find out the
truth and follow it. I ask Allaah to guide you to that which is best for you in
this world and in the Hereafter.
But even if we did not know about the harmful effects of eating pork, this
would not change our belief that it is haraam in the slightest, or weaken our
resolve to abstain from it. You know that when Adam (peace be upon him) was
expelled from the Garden, it was because he ate from the tree from which Allaah
forbade him to eat. We do not know anything about that tree, and Adam did not
need to enquire into the reason why it was forbidden to eat from it. Rather it
was sufficient for him, as it is sufficient for us and for every believer, to
know that Allaah has forbidden it.
Look at some of the harmful effects of eating pork; look at the research of the
Fourth Annual Conference of Islamic Medicine, Kuwait edition, p. 731 ff; and
al-Wiqaayah al-Sihhiyyah fi Daw’ al-Kitaab wa’l-Sunnah by Lu’lu’ah bint Saalih,
p. 635 ff.
But we ask you once again: Isn’t pork forbidden in the Old Testament which
forms part of your Holy Book?
“Do not eat any detestable thing. These are the animals you may eat… The pig is
also unclean; although it has a split hoof, it does not chew the cud, you are
not to eat their meat or touch their carcasses.” (Deuteronomy 14:3-8)
See also Leviticus 11-1-8.
We do not need to quote evidence that pork is forbidden for the Jews. If you
have any doubt then ask people and they will tell you. But what we think we
need to draw you attention to is some other things that are also mentioned in
your Holy Book, this time in the New Testament which tells you that the rulings
of the Torah still apply to you and cannot be changed. Does’t it say in the
Bible that the Messiah said:
“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets. I have not
come to abolish them but to fulfil them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and
earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will
by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.” Matthew
5:17-18?
With this text, we do not need to look for another ruling on pork in the New
Testament, but we will add here another quotation which shows definitively that
pork is impure:
“A large herd of pigs was feeding on the nearby hillside. The demons begged
Jesus: ‘Send us among the pigs; allow us to go into them.’ He gave them
permission, and the evil spirits came out and went into the pigs.” Mark 5:11-13
Perhaps you will say that this is abrogated, and that Peter said such and such
and Paul said such and such…?
This is changing the words of Allaah and abrogating the Torah and the words of
the Messiah who confirmed to you that it would abide as long as heaven and
earth remain. Can this be abrogated by the words of Paul or Peter?
Let us assume that this is true and that the prohibition was indeed abrogated,
but why are you criticizing this prohibition in Islam when it was prohibited
for you at first?
Thirdly: With regard to your saying that if eating it is forbidden, then why
did Allaah create pigs? We do not think that you are serious, otherwise we
would ask you: why did Allaah create such and such of other things that are
harmful or repulsive? Rather we would ask you: why did Allaah create the
Shaytaan?
Is it not the prerogative of the Creator to command His slaves as He will, and
to rule them as He will. No one can overturn His ruling or change His words.
Is it not the duty of the created being, the slave, to say to his Lord,
whenever He commands him to do something: “We hear and we obey”?
You may enjoy its taste and want to eat it, and those around you may enjoy it,
but doesn’t Paradisedeserve some sacrifice on your part of that which
your heart desires?