TEACHING QUALITY is the most important in-school factor for
     improving student achievement (see footnote).  Yet we, as a
     nation, are far from having a caring & competent teacher in
     every classroom.

     On Monday, the Department put on the web a booklet designed to
     help states & communities find ways to overcome obstacles to
     better teaching.

     "Eliminating Barriers to Improving Teaching" devotes a chapter
     to each of 6 challenges:  teacher recruitment, preparation,
     licensing & certification standards, professional development,
     & retention, as well as the development of school leaders.
     Each chapter defines barriers to that challenge, suggests ways
     around each barrier, & mentions an existing effort to address
     that barrier.

     Below is the first chapter, "Recruitment of Quality Teachers."
     The full text of the booklet is at
          http://www.ed.gov/inits/teachers/barriers2000/Barriers2000.doc
          http://www.ed.gov/inits/teachers/barriers2000/Barriers2000.pdf

          Footnote:  Greenwalls, S.,  Hedges, L.V., and Laine, P.D.
          "The Effect of School Resources on Student Achievement,"
          *Review of Education Research* (1996, Fall).

"Recruitment of Quality Teachers," from "Eliminating Barriers to
Improving Teaching."  By Terry Dozier & Candace Bertotti, Teacher
Quality Initiative, U.S. Department of Education, November 2000

Why Is Action So Urgently Needed?

  *  Enormous Need for More Classroom Teachers.  School districts
     in the United States need to hire 2.2 million teachers within
     the next decade.

  *  Thousands of Qualified Teachers Choosing Not to Teach.  For
     example, only 42 percent of 1992-93 college graduates who
     prepared to teach applied for a teaching job between 1994 &
     1997.

  *  Acute Shortages of Qualified Teachers in Key Subject Areas.
     Of schools with vacancies in certain fields, over 50 percent
     found those in the following fields difficult to fill:
     special education, English as a second language
     (ESL)/bilingual education, foreign language, physical science,
     & mathematics.

  *  Lack of Diversity.  Minority students comprise 36 percent of
     our nation's student population, but only 13 percent of our
     teachers are minorities.

 ==> BARRIER 1:  LACK OF INCENTIVES TO TEACH
       *  Low salaries
       *  Noncompetitive benefits as compared with other fields
       *  Lack of portability of credentials, pensions, & credited
          years of experience

     PROMISING ALTERNATIVES
       *  Create additional opportunities for pay increases based
          on knowledge, performance, & skills.
       *  Offer higher salaries to those with dual certification
          who agree to teach both fields if at least one is a high-
          need subject area.
       *  Consider raising salaries by making teaching a year-round
          profession.
       *  Offer student loan forgiveness, relocation benefits,
          signing bonuses, and/or tax incentives.
       *  Permit the hiring of retired teachers in critical
          shortage areas -- allowing retired teachers to maintain
          full retirement benefits, while also earning a full
          salary.

   EXAMPLES ------------------------------------------------------
     In 1986, Connecticut made an investment of more than $300
     million in raising standards for teacher education & licensing
     while increasing teacher salaries to the highest in the
     nation.  As a result of this foresight, teacher shortages have
     been eliminated across the state, even in the cities.

     Several states, such as Kentucky, South Carolina, & Tennessee,
     have enacted legislation to allow retired teachers to be
     rehired in critical shortage areas while maintaining their
     full retirement benefits.

     When Gwinnett County schools, a district of metropolitan
     Atlanta, observed many teacher applicants turning down job
     offers, they decided to survey area principals & find out why.
     Survey results found 90 instances where applicants refused
     interviews or job offers because of the county's policy giving
     veteran teachers half credit on the pay scale for their years
     of classroom experience.  As a result, Gwinnett County changed
     its policy & now gives full credit for years of experience on
     the salary schedule.

     Cincinnati public schools, in collaboration with the teachers'
     union, ratified plans to change their traditional pay schedule
     to one based on classroom performance.  Teachers advance up a
     four-step career ladder by meeting district goals.  In
     addition to undergoing comprehensive reviews, teachers must
     submit portfolios that include logs of parent contacts, sample
     lesson plans & student work, & a list of professional
     development activities.

 ==> Barrier 2:  LOW STANDARDS THAT CONTRIBUTE TO A LACK OF RESPECT
     FOR THE PROFESSION
       *  Lack of rigor in many teacher preparation programs
       *  Lack of a set of standard qualifications for entering the
          profession that are based on the ability to teach

     PROMISING ALTERNATIVES
       *  Create demanding & challenging curriculum that shows
          evidence of producing quality teachers.
       *  Develop rigorous, performance-based assessments to
          license teachers based on the content knowledge &
          teaching skills teachers need to be effective, & enforce
          strictly.

   EXAMPLE --------------------------------------------------------
     The Mid-Atlantic Regional Teacher Project -- an alliance among
     Maryland, the District of Columbia, New Jersey, Pennsylvania,
     & Delaware -- raised the ceiling on teacher quality by
     recommending to state policymakers a core set of assessments
     for high-performing education graduates, setting optional
     higher cut scores for designation as a Meritorious New
     Teacher, & granting Meritorious New Teachers full reciprocity
     of credentials among states & regions.  Meritorious New
     Teachers may also be eligible for higher starting salaries.

 ==> Barrier 3:  BUREAUCRATIC PRACTICES
       *  Late budget decisions
       *  Hiring & personnel practices that
            >  unnecessarily delay notices of job openings;
            >  fail to generate timely responses to inquiries from
               potential applicants;
            >  lose job applications; &
            >  tolerate disorganized interviewing & candidate
               selection.

     PROMISING ALTERNATIVES
       *  Streamline hiring practices.  Evaluate budgets & school
          needs in late winter in order to recruit the most
          talented teachers early.
                *  Pool regional resources to create an interstate, user-
                   friendly, web-based hiring process.  This system would
          post job notifications, perform searches for applicants
          with specific qualifications, promptly respond to
          requests for information, & track applications.

  EXAMPLES -------------------------------------------------------
     The New Haven Unified School District in the San Francisco Bay
     Area created a computerized applicant-tracking system that can
     be searched based on multiple criteria.  For example, a
     principal could search for a teacher with a special education
     credential & 10 years of experience who also can coach women's
     basketball.  The district also uses video technology to expand
     its interviewing capabilities, holding interactive
     videoconferences with applicants from around the world.

     Recruiting New Teachers Inc. operates the National Teacher
     Recruitment Clearinghouse website --
     http://www.recruitingteachers.org -- a one-stop source of
     information for recruiters, teachers seeking jobs, prospective
     teachers, & school districts seeking ways to retain teachers.

 ==> Barrier 4:  INADEQUATE ASSESSMENT OF NEEDS
       *  Failure to collect the data needed to assess statewide
          teacher supply-and-demand needs
       *  Lack of evaluation of state & local investments in
          recruitment

     PROMISING ALTERNATIVES
       *  Develop a statewide comprehensive plan to examine sources
          of teachers, rates of attrition, & numbers of teacher
          vacancies by district, grade level, & subject area.
          Gather information from other states as well; recruitment
          strategies may be strengthened by adopting a regional
          approach.
       *  Create a systematic evaluation system that regularly
          assesses the effectiveness of state recruitment efforts &
          informs future decisions about funding.

  EXAMPLE --------------------------------------------------------
     In the Public Education Network's Teacher Quality Initiative,
     community-based, nonprofit organizations in high-poverty
     communities nationwide are collecting data on the
     qualifications of teachers in their districts.  Data will be
     used to engage the public in improving the quality of teaching
     available to the most disadvantaged children in their
     communities & to spearhead community-based strategic planning
     processes to address the disparities between the
     qualifications of teachers in high- & low-poverty schools.

 ==> Barrier 5:  LACK OF COMPREHENSIVE STRATEGIES
       *  Lack of statewide strategies to address teacher shortages
       *  No focus on special shortage areas

     PROMISING ALTERNATIVES
       *  Fund the education of individuals who go into critical
          shortage areas.
       *  Go beyond level funding & allocate more to schools that
          serve poor children.  This would enable districts to pay
          more to teachers to work in more challenging settings &
          reverse the current drain of qualified teachers from
          places where they are needed most.
       *  Invest in people who currently live in high-need
          communities; adopt a "grow-your-own" approach to
          recruiting new teachers.

  EXAMPLE -------------------------------------------------------
     Answering Georgia's call for more diversity among teachers,
     the Pathways to Teaching Careers partnership among Armstrong
     Atlantic State University, Savannah State University, &
     Savannah/Chatham County Schools enlists noncertified school
     district employees -- paraprofessionals, secretaries,
     substitute teachers, bus drivers, cafeteria managers -- who
     have exemplary work records, better-than-average-grades, & a
     sincere commitment to teaching.  These individuals are offered
     tuition & other support so they can earn degrees leading to
     teacher certification.  The program's 60 graduates have a
     collective grade point average of 3.0, a 96 percent retention
     rate, & 24 have been named Teacher of the Year for their
     schools.
          Terry Dozier, Candace Bertotti,
          Peter Kickbush, & Kirk Winters
          U.S. Department of Education