To science colleagues:
Mike Lach requested info on science issues topics in a recent e-mail.
Although I did not know the name of the book he inquired about (others did) I
responded to him that I taught "Science Issues in the Eighties" and "Science
Issues in the Nineties" at Hinsdale South High School for 10 or more(I'm
getting old--I forgot) years.  He suggested I send this reply to all of you.

As the course began (it was a one semester course) the students and I scanned
the news media using the Internet, newspapers, magazines, and television for
topics we thought were controversies related to science.  Each student then
briefly presented the topics they found and I added explanation about the
topics as I could.  Then we voted on 8-10 topics that we would cover for the
semester.  This worked well.  Various topics we covered over the years are as
follows, as I can remember now.

Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide
Abortion
Organ transplants
AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases
Smoking
Creation Science versus Evolution
Science and Religion
Nuclear War
Nuclear power and other electrical energy sources
Radiation
Legalization of Drugs
Ozone Depletion
Global Warming
Extinction of species
Rainforest destruction
Genetics (Genetic engineering, human genome project, gene therapy, DNA
fingerprinting, prenatal testing)
New methods of reproduction (fertility treatments, test tube babies,
surrogate   mothers)
Animal Rights (using animals for experimentation, hunting, dissection, furs,
etc.)
Extraterrestrial life? (and UFOs)
Potentially bogus science...ESP, UFOs, the Loch Ness Monster, Crop circles,
and     others we thought of at the time.
Love Canal, Times Beach, Bhopal, India and other incidences of toxic dumping
or  corporate poisionings
Human Impact on the Environment (land use, landfills and other topics in this
list)
Population of the Earth...are we overpopulated?
The News Media...editorials, bias, analyzing what we read therein

We certainly never covered all these topics in one semester.   The objectives
of the course were to raise awareness of issues and to gather facts on these
issues, teach (practice) open-mindedness and communication skills, and
practice developing opinions based on fact, realizing that emotions, values
and all sorts of other intangibles go into developing the opinions we form.

Feel free to contact me for more info...on-line, or at school where I have my
files!

Susan Camasta
Hinsdale South High School
(630)887-1730 x311