Dear teaching colleagues:

My name is April Anderson and I am consultant for the Illinois Department of
Commerce and Community Affairs Office of Coal Development & Marketing.
Part of my job is to find high school teachers of math, science (namely
chemistry, but also earth, biological and environmental sciences), economics,
social studies and perhaps English and technology to pilot and provide
feedback for educational activities pertaining to coal.

Illinois Coal:  Energizing the 21st Century is the name of the teacher's
guide.  Roughly two years ago, it was distributed to about 100 high school
teachers throughout the state of Illinois (they will be receiving a simple
survey to complete this spring).  More teachers (throughout the state of
Illinois, but especially in northern Illinois) are needed to try and evaluate
these lessons.

To receive a free copy of Illinois Coal:  Energizing the 21st Century, high
school teachers can contact me or Barbara Antonini (in Coal Education)
directly.

Our addresses are:
April Anderson:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Barbara Antonini:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Illinois Coal:  Energizing the 21st Century contains six modules:

Module 1 - Setting the Stage for Coal Formation
Timing the layers
The origin of limestone
The origin of coal

Module 2 - Characteristics of Coal
The nature of coal
Determining the chemical analysis of coal

Module 3 - Prospecting for Coal to Design a Mine
Estimating the Amount of Minable Coal in an Area
Calculating the Minable Coal in an Area
Design a 3-D Model

Module 4 - The Economics of Illinois Coal
Concept Mapping
Coal & Our Economy
Illinois Coal & the Clean Air Act Amendments of 1990

Module 5 - Coal & Acid Rain
Acid Activity and Sources of Acid Rain

Module 6 - Clean Coal Technology
Background on Scrubbers
The Problem of Separation
Clean Coal for the Future

I look forward to hearing from you and your colleagues soon!

Sincerely,
April Anderson
(847) 289-9760 phone