I have a friend who says that in the major subjects there are two sources of subject matter, science and social studies.  Language arts and mathematics are about communicating in those subject areas.  When you start to get into thematic units and integrating curriculum, you find that the language of math and even the language of language arts is very similar to science.  I'm sure that there are social studies subjects that are difficult to integrate into science just as there are science subjects that are difficult to integrate into social studies but I think that our students benefit if we can show them how our subject matter relates to life, all aspects of life, not bounded by subject matter labels.  So I say integrate the curriculum, teach thematic units, help students see  how science can help them live better lives whether they are interested in literature, business, or being a movie star.  ***TOM***

Tom Butler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]