EDUCATION TECHNOLOGY is the focus of 3 new publications:

       >  a report on Internet access in public schools
       >  a webpage of federal resources for education technology
       >  the May issue of a newsletter, "Community Update."

     Excerpts are below.

     LAST WEEK, SECRETARY PAIGE hailed the House of
     Representatives' 384-45 vote that passed H.R.1, a bipartisan
     bill that advances the four pillars of "No Child Left Behind,"
     President Bush's education plan.  "As a result of H.R.1," he
     said, "schools, districts, & states will have more flexibility
     & control; parents, teachers, schools, & states will have more
     information about student performance & what works in the
     classroom; parents & communities will be able to hold schools
     accountable for providing a quality education to every child;
     & children trapped in persistently failing schools will for
     the first time ever have more choices & more chances to
     succeed."  The Secretary's full statement & details about
     H.R.1 are at
     http://www.ed.gov/PressReleases/05-2001/05232001b.html
     http://edworkforce.house.gov/press/press107/hr1ph52301.htm

     ---------------------------------
     Internet Access in Public Schools
     --------------------------------- "Internet Access in U.S.
     Public Schools: 1994-2000," released May 9 by the Department's
     National Center for Education Statistics, tells...

       *  How much progress have public schools made in connecting
          to the Internet?
       *  What is the ratio of students to instructional computers
          in public schools?
       *  How are public schools connected to the Internet?
       *  To what extent are public schools making the Internet
          available to students outside of regular school hours in
          2000?
       *  How are public schools preventing students from accessing
          inappropriate material on the Internet in 2000?

     http://nces.ed.gov/pubsearch/pubsinfo.asp?pubid=2001071

     Federal Resources for Using Education Technology
     "Education Technology: Selected Federal Information &
     Resources" is a webpage of links organized around 5 questions:

       *  What teaching & learning resources are available on the
          web from the federal government?
       *  What support is available from the federal government
          that can help my school or family use technology for
          learning?
       *  What information is available from the federal government
          that can help my school or family use technology for
          learning?
       *  What information & resources does the federal government
          support  in my region of the country that can help my
          school or family use education technology effectively?
       *  Where can I find information and resources in my state
          can help my school or family use technology for learning?

     The webpage was developed as a companion to the May 15
     Satellite Town Meeting (STM).
     http://www.ed.gov/offices/OIIA/STMResources/index.html

     Archived webcasts of this month's STM, "Enhancing Education
     Through Technology: New Tools to Close the Achievement Gap" --
     as well as previous STMs -- can be found at
     http://ali.apple.com/events/edgovseries/

     The next STM is June 19.  The topic is "Standards &
     Accountability."  For details, please see
     http://registerevent.ed.gov/downlink/event-flyer.asp?intEventID=140
     To receive email updates about upcoming STMs, you can
     subscribe to STM-LIST (please see
     http://www.ed.gov/inits/stm/stm-list.html).

     ----------------
     Community Update
     ---------------- The May issue of "Community Update," a
     newsletter designed to help communities learn from each other
     as they improve their schools, features education technology.
     Excerpts are below.  The full issue, back issues, & an online
     form for subscribing to this paper-based newsletter are at
     http://www.ed.gov/G2K/community/

          NOTE:  Community Update is produced by the Department's
          Office of Intergovernmental & Interagency Affairs (OIIA)
          & edited by Nicole Ashby (OIIA) with assistance from
          Julie Black (OIIA).

Excerpts from "Community Update," May 2001
U.S. Department of Education (ED)

Parents Encouraging Information Literacy

With the increasing use of the Internet by students of all ages,
the following tips adapted from the recommendations of Educational
Resources Information Center (ERIC) are useful to parents for
teaching their children how to effectively use information from the
web:

     Encourage & guide your children in exploring their interests.
     Point them to various resources -- such as printed materials,
     videos, & computers -- that they can use to find out about the
     things that interest them.

     Use "The Big Six" to help your children with their homework.
     Help them (1) determine what is expected from their homework
     assignments, (2) identify the necessary resources for the
     tasks, (3) locate the needed resources, (4) read or use the
     information, (5) apply the information to the tasks, & (6)
     evaluate the quality of their final product.

     Show your children how to evaluate information.  Teach them to
     ask the following questions: Who or what is the authority?
     How current is the information?  How might different people
     perceive this message?  What is omitted?

     Teach your children about authors.  Point out the authors of
     the books they read.  Explain to them that they must
     acknowledge other people's ideas, & show them how to document
     their sources.

     Instruct your children to consider the reliability of
     information from the Internet.  Explain to them that anyone
     can put information on the Internet.  Teach them to look for
     the author's qualifications & sources.  Ask them to consider
     whether the information on a web site is being used to sell a
     product.

     Discuss information literacy with your children's teachers.
     Ask them how they encourage information literacy & what you
     can do to help.  For more information about teaching
     information literacy, visit
     http://www.accesseric.org/resources/parent/infoltrcy.html.
     To order print copies of the most recent titles, call
     1-800-LET-ERIC (1-800-538-3742).

=====================================
Tips for Technology Success
By Bruce Whitehead, Missoula, Montana
=====================================

I remember vividly my days as an elementary school principal trying
to get my technology program off the ground.  I also remember
trying desperately to get reluctant staff members to accept & use
networked computers in their classrooms, as well as find the
dollars to fund the program.

Through trial & error -- actually more error than trial -- I
learned hard & fast lessons that I call "The Seven Golden Nuggets."
These are tips I developed during planning & implementation of a
program that helped my school, Hellgate Elementary in Missoula,
Montana, become a National Blue Ribbon School & a national
demonstration site for the effective use of classroom technology.

The first lesson is that technology should not drive curriculum but
just the opposite -- curriculum should drive technology.  We work
to make technology transparent & fit our existing curriculum, in
which teachers use computers, LCD projectors, scanners, & other
technology, much like they would an overhead or VCR.

Second, I came to realize that the key to using technology
successfully is the teacher.  Only teachers can make technology
happen effectively in the classroom.

Third, I find that money follows success.  Our district makes
technology a major funding priority & has technology as a line item
in our budget, which represents at least 5 percent of the general
fund.  This provides a stable source of revenue for technology each
year & helps to ensure success.

Fourth, I decided to put at least five high-speed networked
computers with a printer in each classroom, & more if necessary to
achieve a student-computer ratio of 5-to-1.  This enhances a
cooperative learning environment for each classroom, where students
& teachers have access to computers & the Internet all day.

Fifth, I formulate strategies on how to reach the "reluctants" --
those teachers having difficulty fully integrating technology into
their classrooms.  I now use a mentor program, whereby I pair a
teacher having difficulty in using technology with a master
technology teacher.  I send both, as a team, to conferences &
schedule their prep periods together in order for them to practice
computer applications.  I believe in providing staff development
via "teachers teaching teachers" & in using a combination of
student early outs, rotation of substitute teachers, & extended
teacher contracts to build in time for professional development.

Sixth, I find that it is easy to measure & evaluate success with
technology by monitoring the amount & quality of student writing;
enhancement of cooperative learning; awareness of student learning
styles; application of student technical tutoring; & the level of
e-mail communication among teachers, parents & administrators.

Finally, I have found that an effective public relations program
develops community awareness.  When parents & community leaders
understand why classroom technology is so important to the future
of their children, they are more willing to support it.

If these golden nuggets can work for a rural school in Montana like
ours, they can work for just about any school across the country.

     Note:  Bruce Whitehead is the principal of Hellgate
     Intermediate School & an associate professor at the University
     of Montana.  He designed & implemented a model for classroom
     technology centers that earned him the National Distinguished
     Principals Award from the National Association of Elementary
     School Principals.