Today, Secretary Paige sent a letter to school principals
     inviting students, teachers, parents, & other Americans to
     join in reciting the Pledge of Allegiance at a single time
     in classrooms across the country on Friday, October 12,
     2001.

     Below is the letter.

                    THE SECRETARY OF EDUCATION
                      WASHINGTON, D.C. 20202

October 9, 2001

Dear Principal:

As a Nation, we have responded to the terrorist attacks of
September 11 by offering our support to the victims and their
families, to the rescue workers, and to the men and women of the
United States military. We have also displayed remarkable
patriotism that reflects our appreciation for and dedication to
the principles that make America strong -- freedom, liberty, and
independence.

Teachers in every community in America have been working with
students to help them understand what happened on September 11
and to overcome their fears and concerns. They have also worked
to teach them more about our proud and rich national history and
the foundations of our free society.

I write today to ask you to join me and students, teachers,
parents, and other proud Americans across the country in showing
our patriotism by reciting the Pledge of Allegiance at a single
time and with a unified voice in your classrooms on Friday,
October 12, 2001.

Pledge Across America is being organized by Celebration USA, a
nonprofit organization created to strengthen instruction on the
basic principles of American democracy in America's classrooms.
They have offered us an opportunity to join in a synchronized
Pledge of Allegiance at 2:00 p.m. EDT, 1:00 p.m. CDT, Noon MDT,
11:00 a.m. PDT, 10:00 a.m. in Alaska, and 8:00 a.m. in Hawaii.

I hope you will join me in making this a national celebration on
Friday at the times listed above. Together, we can send a loud
and powerful message that will be heard around the world: America
is "one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice
for all."

Sincerely,

Rod Paige

More information on Pledge Across America is available at
http://www.celebrationusa.org/nsc.htm