On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Oswald Buddenhagen <o...@kde.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 10:32:15AM -0400, Dave Abrahams wrote:
>> I'd like to be able to give mbsync a command via which it can get my
>> password, so I don't have to store it in a plaintext file and so it
>> doesn't show up in my "ps wwwaux" listing.  I'd set it up to use my
>> Mac's keychain.
>
> good idea. shouldn't be particularly hard to implement, either.
> the command would be called with the account name on the command line,
> and the result would be expected on stdout.

    Yay! I'm glad someone proposed this, as it was in my
"feature-request" queue for some time, but I've said better to wait
and also propose a patch. :)

    Actually what would have been even better was something like this:
    * for `LOGIN` based authentication, indeed `mbsync` should be able
to request the password via a command;
    * but for other authentication types (like `X-OAUTH` in case of
Gmail) it could have delegated the SASL "dance" to an external
command;

    Ciprian.