On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 01:33:25PM -0500, Luis Mochan wrote:
> I usually scan my mail in FILO order, acting on the most urgent
> messages. Later on, I look at them again, processing and archiving them at my
> leisure. Thus, when I finish with all the recent messages, I would
> like to see older ones, but I don't want to saturate my portable
> device with all my unread ones.

i see.
this is technically tricky, as mbsync would have to reach back (list) an
upfront unknown number of messages (we don't know how many messages will
qualify for (re-)downloading, and we don't know where the range would
start even if all messages would qualify (because there may be holes in
the numbering due to deleting messages ... though it would be a
possibility to use always-contiguous IMAP sequence numbers instead of
UIDs in this case ...).

as a workaround i can only suggest setting MaxMessages to the highest
realistic number of messages you would be able to go backwards. of
course that's not helpful if you need to work in very small increments.

alternatively, you could simply delete the slave mailbox including the
sync state after you sync all the deletions. then mbsync would start
listing from scratch. of course that is highly inefficient with big
mailboxes, which is why it's not done during incremental operation.

> > > while using 'MaxMessage 100' and 'ExpireUnread yes' might remove
> > > unread messages leaving me with less than 100.
> > >
> > i don't understand what you mean by that.
>
> Well, I had made one test. Running mbsync brought in 100 messages when
> I first ran it. I opened my mail with mutt, saw a few messages and
> closed mutt. Later I ran mbsync again and it fetched 20 messages, but
> when I opened my mail, the original 100 messages were gone.

that doesn't sound right at all. 80 of the old messages should have
remained.
can you reproduce the situation from scratch? if so, i'd need a log of
mbsync -D -V of the whole procedure to understand what has happend.

> I then changed 'ExpireUnread' to 'no' and ran mbsync for the third
> time, expecting mbsync to fetch again those 100 messages, but it
> didn't.

yeah, that's expected.