On Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 10:09:03PM +0100, Guillaume Brogi wrote:
Thanks for the confirmation. I ended up connecting to the IMAP server
manually and removing that weird inbox/\ folder. It contained a single,
and recent, message that I moved to the regular inbox.
Not sure what happened to create that folder, but now it works and I had
to learn how to read messages, move them and delete folders in IMAP.

oh, with that description it's actually easy to guess what happened:
you created that folder by attempting to move that message to inbox/ via another mail client (web interface?), and accidentally hitting the backslash right before enter - that happens to me all the time with US keyboards (where the backslash is right above enter, while on german keyboards enter extends into that space). the server simply accepted the backslash as a folder name, which is somewhat unhelpful, but completely legal. the problem begins with the fact that the imap server simply fails to quote backslashes in folder listings (and quite likely other places as well).