> I use mbsync without issues with fastmail's IMAP.  So while they do
> support JMAP (and AFAIK invented/spec'ed it), you can access/sync your
> mail just fine without it.

Indeed. My main motivation for using jmap is to sync tags without
brittle thirdparty integration.

> Also, I think JMAP is not meant as an IMAP replacement but as a protocol
> more suitable for mobile and web-based clients.  Fastmail's mobile app
> and web-client use it but I'm not aware of other implementors.

The spec has designed some features to alleviate the network load (I
read) but it has features useful in general like contact handling and
maybe calendar (haven't read the IETF spec).
I do see it as IMAP's successor (if only from the name) but IMAP is
likely to stay as well, with JMAP-IMAP proxies along the way.

It's good to know patches could be accepted. I dont have the time
personally but for peple enthusiast about JMAP, I think they could
apply to https://www.ngi.eu/ngi-projects/ngi-pointer/ to get some
money, I know a JMAP android reader is already founded this way (but
long live the desktop).

Cheers,