On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 09:09:53PM +0100, Joel Granados wrote:
I indeed went back to my original comment and restarted from there. I
notcied that there is a link that is created when openssl is installed
in debian bullseye /lib/ssl/openssl.cnf -> /etc/ssl/openssl.cnf.

fwiw, it's /usr/lib/ssl/openssl.cnf.

If I change the name of this link, mbsync (the one installed by debian)
works again.

I'm not really sure what that means, though. The openssl.cnf is not
really changed. there is just a new link to it.

what that means is that only the file in /usr/lib is read, while the one in /etc is ignored. you can confirm that with strace.

so there are two problems here:
- your openssl.cnf in /etc is somehow causing that weird error, which deserves investigation - the debian packaging deserves a bug report - it's insane that installing an opional package with command line tools changes the behavior of the underlying library package.