On Sat, Feb 19, 2022 at 05:54:15PM -0500, David Denton wrote:
This issue started after my deleting emails from my phone using the Android gmail app, going to "Bin" on the app and then clicking on "Empty Bin now".

apparently, the app thought it would be a good idea to "normalize" the trashbin's name.

But how to fix this?

just play along and adjust the name of the remote box in your config.
optionally, you can also adjust the local name and rename the maildir.