On 5 Jul 2022, at 12:51, Oswald Buddenhagen <oswald.buddenha...@gmx.de> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 05, 2022 at 12:21:19PM +0100, Sabahattin Gucukoglu wrote:
>> Sadly the banner of imap.mail.me.com:993 changed.
>
> damn. mind posting the current -Dn output of the auth sequence?

sgucukoglu@Onyx:~$ mbsync -DN -a -l
Reading configuration file /Users/sgucukoglu/.mbsyncrc
Channel Sync
Opening far side store iCloud...
Resolving imap.mail.me.com... ok
Connecting to imap.mail.me.com (17.57.154.24:993)...
Opening near side store Local...
Connection is now encrypted
* OK [CAPABILITY XAPPLEPUSHSERVICE IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 SASL-IR AUTH=ATOKEN
AUTH=PLAIN] (2218B35-28881d7dd77f) ms11p00im-qufv17101001.me.com
Logging in...
Authenticating with SASL mechanism PLAIN...
>>> 1 AUTHENTICATE PLAIN <authdata>
1 OK user sgucukoglu authenticated
>>> 2 LIST "" "*"
* LIST (\Noinferiors) "/" "INBOX"
* LIST () "/" "@SaneListTripe"
* LIST () "/" "@SaneNews"
* LIST () "/" "@SaneSecurity"
* LIST () "/" "Archive"
* LIST () "/" "BlindFaith"
* LIST () "/" "Deal"
* LIST () "/" "Deal2"
* LIST () "/" "Deleted Messages"
* LIST () "/" "Discussion"
* LIST () "/" "Drafts"
* LIST () "/" "Games"
* LIST () "/" "IETF-SMTP"
* LIST () "/" "Junk"
* LIST () "/" "Notes"
* LIST () "/" "Obelisk"
* LIST () "/" "Sent Messages"
* LIST () "/" "Unprocessed"
* LIST () "/" "Unprocessed2"
* LIST () "/" "Untidy"
* LIST () "/" "Untidy2"
2 OK LIST completed (took 126 ms)
INBOX
@SaneListTripe
@SaneNews
@SaneSecurity
Archive
BlindFaith
Deal
Deal2
Deleted Messages
Discussion
Drafts
Games
IETF-SMTP
Junk
Notes
Obelisk
Sent Messages
Unprocessed
Unprocessed2
Untidy
Untidy2
>>> 3 LOGOUT
* BYE
3 OK !!
sgucukoglu@Onyx:~$

>> You could just target all IPv4 addresses in 17.0.0.0/8.
>
> that seems suboptimal, as there are certainly other mail servers in that
> network as well. the workaround wouldn't cause harm (except a bit more
> latency), but it seems messy nonetheless.

I don’t disagree, but I also think any workaround based on guesswork is
probably suboptimal, in the absence of definitive identifying information.
Unfortunately this (yes, very weird and obscure) quirk is all that stands in
the way of using isync unaided; it was a very lucky thing that you implemented
“tunnel” at all, in my case.

There again, how many people routinely get traffic from imap-protocol or other
lists which expose the vulnerable strings in literals? And, of those, how many
are iCloud users? Even I, having migrated once, would not have any further need
for it …

Cheers,
Sabahattin