On Sun 08 Jan 2023 at 16:01, "Oswald Buddenhagen" <oswald.buddenha...@gmx.de>
wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 08, 2023 at 05:14:02AM +0000, Husain Alshehhi wrote:
>>TAGS and GTAGS generate files to index the src. These files should not
>>be included in source control.
>>
> i'm not convinced that this should be included upstream. it's not part
> of the build system, so it must be something you did locally. so i think
> you sould just put it in the repo's .git/info/exclude or even your
> ~/.config/git/ignore if this is something you use with other projects as
> well.

GTAGS and TAGS are generated by the targets GTAGS and TAGS in the
makefile. Since they are part of the makefile, I felt it is appropriate
to include the ignores in the .gitignore file. I believe this is the
pattern in some projects. [1][2][3]

[1]
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/.gitignore#n122
[2] https://github.com/emacs-mirror/emacs/blob/master/.gitignore#L167