On Wed, Mar 13, 2024 at 12:40:21PM +0100, Peter P. wrote:
These duplicates are not detected by (neo)mutt's ~= filter since some
of these messages contain a X-TUID header, others do not.

that's just wrong. mutt goes by the message-id header and nothing else.

I am interested how/why these headers got introduced, and how I can
avoid this in the future.

these are generated by isync to be able to provide a transactional
guarantee (being able to reliably resume interrupted runs).

Furthermore, some webpages suggest some sed magic[1] to remove these
X-TUID headers to be able to remove duplicates.

that page uses a different de-duplication method which presumably relies
on textual identity.

Will mbsync have any issues when these headers are removed, and
duplicates are removed on the near side?

you can strip them out from your maildir if you feel like it, but it
will just wear down your ssd for no discernable gain.