How do I add new drives to my existing RAID 5 Array
using the PowerEdge™ RAID Controller (PERC) and the
Dell™ Server Assistant (DSA) CD?

Solution

NOTE: Before making any change to your disk drives,
make a backup of any essential data.

You can add one or more drives to a RAID 5 array
without affecting the data on the existing drive(s)
using the following steps:

   1. Confirm that the new drive is of equal or
greater size than the drives that already exist in
your array.
   2. Boot to the Dell Server Assistant CD and run the
Dell Raid Array Configuration Utility in the Utilities
section.
   3. From the Main menu, select Reconstruct.
   4. Select the array to be rebuilt.
   5. From the Reconstruct Drive menu, select the
Logical Drive to which you would like to add the new
drive.
      The utility should now display your new drives
as Ready.
   6. Use the arrow keys to move to the new drives and
the <Space Bar> to mark the drives you want added.
   7. Verify that RAID 5 is selected and then choose
Reconstruct.
      A progress bar should appear showing the new
drives being added to the array.

      NOTE: The process will take over an hour and a
message will inform you that the array has been
resized.

   8. Once the reconstruction has completed, reboot
the system.

You can now utilize the new space using the disk
utility included with your operating system.