Google Opens Up Gmail Worldwide

Concerns over identity verification and out of control spam no longer appear
to be an issue.

By Thomas Claburn,  InformationWeek
<http://www.informationweek.com/;jsessionid=LEMP0ZHTUQ1DAQSNDLOSKH0CJUNN2JVN>
Feb. 13, 2007

Google<http://www.informationweek.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197005871>on
Wednesday plans to open up
Gmail <http://mail.google.com/>, its free
e-mail<http://www.techweb.com/encyclopedia/defineterm.jhtml?term=e-mail&x=&y=>service,
to everyone worldwide.

"In keeping with our tradition of Gmail holiday announcements -- Gmail was
launched on April Fool's Day -- we're inviting everyone worldwide to share
the love this Valentine's Day," said a
Google<http://www.techweb.com/encyclopedia/defineterm.jhtml?term=Google&x=&y=>spokesperson.
"Good relationships require good communication, after all, and
we think Gmail is a great tool for staying in touch."

Google began public testing of Gmail on April 1, 2004. Initially, Gmail was
an exclusive club -- an invitation from another Gmail user was required. In
August, 2005, Google opened Gmail up to those willing to submit a mobile
phone number as a means of identity verification and as a way to limit the
number of accounts spammers might be able to
abuse<http://www.informationweek.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196902129>.

Such concerns no longer appear to be an issue. "Since we launched Gmail,
we've paid particular attention to combating abuse of the system, including
building tools for spam detection and taking measures to ensure that
spammers have a difficult time sending their spam messages and getting these
messages delivered," explained a Google spokesperson. "We are confident in
our tools and systems, but also continue to work on improving them. We know
that our users have been very happy with the small amount of
spam<http://www.techweb.com/encyclopedia/defineterm.jhtml?term=spam&x=&y=>they've
received in their Gmail accounts, and we will take necessary
measures to ensure that this remains the case for new and existing Gmail
users everywhere."

Last week, Google removed the phone number requirement in Africa, Brazil,
Europe, and the Middle East. It remained in place in Asia, North America,
and most of South America until today. Would-be Gmail users in other
countries, including Australia, Japan, and New Zealand, have been able to
sign up for the service without a phone number since last summer.

In the U.K., Gmail is known as Google Mail because another company holds the
"Gmail" trademark. Last month, the Office for Harmonization in the Internal
Market (OHIM), a European trademark body, rejected Google's appeal in
another battle over the "Gmail" trademark with German businessman.

Google claims to have "tens of millions" of Gmail users, significantly fewer
than the free e-mail services offered by Microsoft and Yahoo.

Gabung, Keluar, Mode Kirim : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
## Jobs: itcenter.or.id/jobs ## Bursa: itcenter.or.id/bursa ##

## Jaket ITCENTER tersedia di http://shop.itcenter.or.id