I took a look at your example---thanks---and now I have some code that
displays Unicode characters using the Arial Unicode MS font (I don't have the
font you used in your code).  I create the DefaultFontMapper object (based on
your code, modified for my font directory on Linux):

DefaultFontMapper mapper = new DefaultFontMapper();
mapper.insertDirectory("/opt/jbuilder5/jdk1.3/jre/lib/fonts");
DefaultFontMapper.BaseFontParameters pp = mapper.getBaseFontParameters("Arial
Unicode MS");
if (pp!=null) {
    pp.encoding = BaseFont.IDENTITY_H;
}

After looking at the code in DefaultFontMapper I can see that the code above
is changing the encoding from CP1252 to IDENTITY_H.  Can you explain what
that means, I'm a little out of my depth with fonts.  I've heard of Cp1252,
but what is IDENTITY_H.

Regards,

DG.

P.S.  While reviewing older posts, I found your request for the output of a
small Java program that lists the available fonts on Linux.  Do you still
need that output?