Quoting Erwin Achermann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hi Bruno,
>
> we are facing the problem, that inserDirectory processes 250 font files, =
> consuming more time than acceptable (8 seconds). I was browsing to code =
> and observed that for each font file a basefont is created. This =
> includes loading mapping tables (which is what we need in the first =
> place) but this also include construction of kerning tables, and =
> numerous other datastructure:=20
>
>       TrueTypeFont.process()=20
>           fontName =3D getBaseFont();
>           fullName =3D getNames(4); //full name
>           familyName =3D getNames(1); //family name
>           fillTables();
>           readGlyphWidths();
>           readCMaps();
>           readKerning();
>
> I would propose that these font information are only loaded when the =
> font is actually needed in the document, and thus speeding up the =
> insertDirectory-call. A lazy Font construction, if you wish. Is this =
> problem recognized, planned to be solved or am I completely mistaken =
> here?=20

Paulo wrote the insertDirectory-functionality, so I guess
he will answer your mail too. As for me, I have received
a nice copy of the Reference Manual as a donation and in
return, I will reserve some time in the months August and
September to do a 'clean-up' of the code. I will not
necessarily add new functionality, just add lots of comments
and references to the Reference Manual, fix some reported
problems and combine all the code that was sent to me and
try to make it more 'readable', 'debugable',...

Bruno