Hi Leonard,

Leonard Rosenthol schrieb:
At 4:00 PM +0100 2/25/03, Carsten Hammer wrote:
But if you print them you see your printer rasterizing a long time if it is able to do it at all.

It actually takes place in Acrobat, but yes, depending on what type of printer you have OR the complexity of the transparency effect.

Ok, in some of the printers of the company I work for this takes place inside of the printer. However there works an Acrobat (on a sparc) too.
You send raw pdf,tiff,pcl,postscript or afp or whatever files to these printers. You do not neccessarily go through Acrobat on your windows,linux,whatever pc there. Why everybody thinks the whole world is windows based?... :)
Some of the older machines that do not understand PDF 1.4 (which is the first version supporting transparency) do have problems with transparency.

But yes, Acrobat may have to perform "transparency flattening" of the document before being sent to the printer. Unfortunately, the version of the "Adobe Graphics Manager" used by Acrobat 5.0.5 is dated compared to the one in InDesign and Illustrator and doesn't perform as well on complex transparency effects.

Are you telling me that InDesing and Illustrator are performing fast for transparency effect rasterizing? This would be interesting.

Ghostscript does all the pdf rendering using postscript programms and has
some serious bugs when it comes to transparency.

I would not recommend to use transparency effects in high speed printing
environments but however this might change at the time the rasterizers are
improved. If you know products that dont have performance problems I would be glad to hear about them.

However it would be nice to be able to add transparent xobjects using itext.

Best regards,
Carsten Hammer