Yes, I believe so.  There may have been an exception, but I don't think so.
If I comment out the watermark code, the PDF is generated just fine.

Is there a good time or bad time to add the watermark?  Before
document.open?  After document.open?
In my case, I added the watermark after document.open.

Tom

   <Geek>

      <Name>Tom Halliley</Name><Title>Sr. Web Architect</Title>

      <Company>BASF Corporation</Company><Division>Automotive Refinish
   Technologies</Division>

      <Phone>248.948.2376</Phone><EMail>[EMAIL PROTECTED]</EMail>

   </Geek>

|---------+------------------------+--------------------->
|         |                        |"Paulo Soares"       |
|         |                        |<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>|
|         |                        |                     |
|         |                        |09/21/2004 03:27 PM  |
|         |                        |Please respond to    |
|         |                        |"Paulo Soares"       |
|         |                        |                     |
|---------+------------------------+--------------------->

>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |              To:  "Thomas Halliley"
                        |
  |              cc:  itext-questions
                        |
  |   Subject:   Re: [iText-questions] Using Watermarks
                        |

>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|---------+------------------------+--------------------->
|         |                        |                     |
|---------+------------------------+--------------------->

>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

The pdf is incomplete. Did you call document.close()?

Best Regards,
Paulo Soares

> Here's the corrupted PDF that Acrobat Reader cannot open.
>
> Tom
>
> (See attached file: invoice_000-000113125-000.pdf)
>
>    <Geek>
>
>       <Name>Tom Halliley</Name><Title>Sr. Web Architect</Title>
>
>       <Company>BASF Corporation</Company><Division>Automotive Refinish
>    Technologies</Division>
>
>       <Phone>248.948.2376</Phone><EMail>[EMAIL PROTECTED]</EMail>
>
>    </Geek>

> |         |                        |"Paulo Soares"       |
> |         |                        |<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>|