----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Appling" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, September 24, 2004 20:50
Subject: [iText-questions] MultiColumnText

> Ever since Christian Lauer posted some questions about adding ColumnText
directly to a document,
> I've been thinking about how I would want to use it.  Last night I made a
helper class
> (MultiColumnText) that is an element and can be added to a document
directly.  It can handle regular
> or irregular columns and can either have a fixed height or flow to fill
each page until all of its
> content is rendered.  ColumnText is doing all the hard work underneath.
>
> To test it I made a random iText poem generator.  This snippet shows how
MultiColumnText is used:
>        // param is height, AUTOMATIC fills full pages until out of content
>        MultiColumnText mct = new
MultiColumnText(MultiColumnText.AUTOMATIC);

>        // params are left edge, right edge, gutter width, number of
columns
>        mct.addRegularColumns(document.left(), document.right(), 10f, 3);
>
>        for (int i=0; i<30; i++) {
>           mct.addElement(newPara(randomWord(noun), Element.ALIGN_MIDDLE,
Font.BOLDITALIC));
>           for (int j=0; j<4; j++ ) {
>              mct.addElement(newPara(poemLine(), Element.ALIGN_LEFT,
Font.NORMAL));
>           }
>           mct.addElement(newPara(randomWord(adverb), Element.ALIGN_LEFT,
Font.NORMAL));
>           mct.addElement(newPara("\n\n", Element.ALIGN_LEFT,
Font.NORMAL));
>        }
>
>        document.add(mct);
>

> Would anyone be interested in something like this?  I'll be glad to
contribute MultiColumnText or

I'm interested. There's nothing to generate multicolumn out of the box.

> enhance it if anyone thinks it is useful.  I have attached the resulting
iText poems for your
> amusement (I'm apparently easily amused).  I liked the line "drunken
PdfPTable halts finally" (no
> offense intended Paulo).

We can't avert fate... The truth is out there.

Best Regards,
Paulo Soares