See the example headers_and_watermarks.java at itextpdf.sf.net.

Best Regards,
Paulo Soares

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Johnston" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, October 08, 2004 19:39
Subject: [iText-questions] Page numbering problem

Hi All,

Here is my problem:  I have a long PDF that I am generating that
consists of many 1 page (normally) reports that consists of a single
table.  On most of these pages, I don't need page numbers to be
displayed.  Unfortunately, some of these reports span multiple pages if
the table goes to long.  In these cases (and these cases only), I want
to display a page number in a header table that I'm already displaying
at the top of each page in the report.  I want the page number to have
the format "Page X of Y".

Each page of the report has header information that gets displayed by
the onStartPage event that gets fired by iText.  My initial attempt at
solving this was to estimate whether or not my report will span multiple
pages, and how many pages it will be, and then display the page number
if it is greater than 1 in the header.  Unfortunately, due to my font
type, it is almost impossible for me to estimate the number of pages due
to line feeds occurring in the table on some occasions.

What I'm hoping to do is when onStartPage gets fired in the middle of my
report (ie. If the report has spanned multiple pages), then go back to
the previous page and enter the page number at the top of the page.  Is
it possible in iText to return to the previous page after onStartPage
gets called?

Can anyone think of any other better way of predicting or detecting the
number of pages in the report?

Scott Johnston

Salus Systems Ltd.

23-3318 Oak St