Yep, you're right. The printer settings for spooling are not easily
manipulated by programs. maybe you should have a support page
explaining how to change such settings. Spooling before printing will
make the start to printing slow, but the overall printing speed will
not matter (unless the document is unusually heavily bloated; in which
case it is better to have multple pdf files).