Harakiri wrote:
> Yes you can write all of that yourself, including
> connecting to external datasources... reinvent the
> wheel =)

It depends. At Ghent University we still have a database
that doesn't understand SQL (we use D-Isam, a C-Isam clone,
a file based system, accessed using a C JNI; it's a legacy).
In that case, it's handier to write custom classes.
Also: writing a SAX handler is pretty easy. The S in SAX
stands for Simple (although opinions may vary).

> OR you just use JasperReports which can do this very
> good, has a graphical XML Report designer, can fill
> report data any external data source through an
> Interface and allows you not only to export to PDF
> (using itext in the background) but also html, rtf and
> so on....

The same goes for Eclipse/BIRT. Both JasperReports and
Eclipse/BIRT use iText as their PDF engine.
br,
Bruno