Just to clarify a few things...

First, as Paulo points out, adding "intelligence" to a PDF form
involves the use of JavaScript.  That is the programming/automation
language of PDF.

Second, there are two types of PDF forms - classic "Acro" Forms and
modern XML-based "XFA" Forms.  Each has pros and cons, though for
your needs it sounds like XFA Forms would be a better choice.

Leonard