Edward W. Rouse wrote:
> I have been searching the mailing list archives and using Google for
> hours and haven't found the answer, so I am asking here.

Have you read the PDF Reference?
There's no such thing as page numbers in the page(s) dictionary.
There's the page tree from which you can retrieve the order
of the pages, and as soon as you know the order, you know
the page number. Therefore there's no need to store the page
number in any page or pages dictionary. Maybe you are confusing
with page labels; if so, please consult the API for PdfPageLabels.
http://itext.ugent.be/library/api/com/lowagie/text/pdf/PdfPageLabels.html#getPageLabels(com.lowagie.text.pdf.PdfReader)

br,
Bruno