You'll have to figure out how to put checkboxes in your document using direct
content. I personally have not done this although I know a couple people on the
mailing list have done it or at least tried.

There is no way to "parse" through a document using iText to figure out how to
replace some value. This is not developed yet.

I have recently updated the current source in SVN with the ability to use
PdfTable and nest tables.

Here's an example:
        try {
            Document document = new Document();
            RtfWriter2 writer = RtfWriter2.getInstance(document, new
FileOutputStream(
                    "TestPdfPTable.rtf"));
            PdfWriter pwriter = PdfWriter.getInstance(document,  new
FileOutputStream(
            "TestPdfPTable.pdf"));
            document.open();
            writer.getDocumentSettings().setOutputDebugLineBreaks(true);

            PdfPTable t1 = new PdfPTable(3);
            PdfPTable t2 = new PdfPTable(2);
            t2.addCell("Cell t2.c1");
            t2.addCell("Cell t2.c2");