UnicodeBig is supposed to exist in all Javas but you can use Unicode if it
works for you (you'll have to recompile iText).

Paulo

----- Original Message -----
From: "Van der Auwera Bernard" <bernard.vanderauw...@cosmosworldwide.com>
To: <itext-questions@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 10:37 AM
Subject: [iText-questions] Difference in encoding between Windows XP
andiSeries OS/400

Hi,

I encountered some difference in behaviour between the encoding in Windows
and OS/400.

I use iText for filling in pdf documents by means of acrofields.

My proof of concept works fine on Windows, but when I transfer it to iseries
it creates the pdf but no fields are filled.

I was able to pinpoint the problem, the acrofieldnames contains strange
characters resulting in unable to find the fields in
“Acrofields.setField(name, value)”

Ex. Windows
 “form1[0].#subform[0].CustomerContact[0]”

Ex. iSeries
“?form1[0].?#subform[0].?CustomerContact[0]”

When I checked de formatting of the fieldnames in
PdfString.toUnicodeString() I found that the encoding conversion was done
for “UnicodeBig” (Constant in PdfObjct TEXT_UNICODE).

I wrote a small test program and found out that as well on Windows and on
iSeries the conversion worked fine with “Unicode” instead of “UnicodeBig”.

My question is, is there a specific reason that the Unicode encoding
conversion must be done with UnicodeBig, or can it just be Unicode?

Thanks in advance,

Bernard Van der Auwera
Cosmos NV.

PS. The system properties concerning the encoding are:

                                                           Windows
iSeries

Sun.cpu.endian                                    little
big
Sun.io.unicode.encoding                       UnicodeLittle
UnicodeBig

I changed the properties on iSeries to those of Windows but no change in
behaviour.