Articles/threads and beads were a VERY early attempt in PDF to define some form
of "structure" - but it had/has two major flaws.

 1.  It is limited in what it offers
 2.  It doesn't actually link with the content.

No one uses that stuff anymore - I really wouldn't waste your time on it...

Leonard

On 3/16/09 3:14 PM, "Mike Marchywka" <marchy...@hotmail.com> wrote:

________________________________
> From: lrose...@adobe.com
> To: itext-questions@lists.sourceforge.net
> Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 06:50:27 -0700
> Subject: Re: [iText-questions] modifed sample, question on PDF contents
>

> No - articles/threads/beads have NOTHING to do with structured PDF. See 14.7
> (Logical Structure) and 14.8 (Tagged PDF).

It reads as if the article/thread/bead structure offers logical
organization information that is unrelated to specific
structure information- so I guess your comment is literally true
but I'm not sure this information is irrelevant to the task at issue.
While apparently not intended to be document structure
information, presumably the
navigation order would imply a logical structure:

8.3.2Articles
Some types of documents may contain sequences of content items that are
logically connected but not physically sequential. For example, a news story
may begin on the first page of a newsletter and run over onto one or more
nonconsecutive interior pages. To represent such sequences of physically
discontiguous but logically related items, a PDF document may define one or
more articles (PDF 1.1). The sequential flow of an article is defined by an
article thread; the individual content items that make up the article are
called beads on the thread. PDF viewer applications can provide navigation
facilities to allow the user to follow a thread from one bead to the next.

> Leonard

[...]
>> HOWEVER, PDF DOES support a concept called 'structured PDF' where the
>> various drawing operations are grouped into logical concepts such as
>> paragraphs, tables, etc. In such documents, you now have the information you
>> need to make higher level logical extraction possible w/o the need to
>> "guess".
>

> Just to make sure I'm on the right track and to summarize for anyone
>
> else who may be interested in getting information out of pictures,
>
> it looks like the "article,thread,bead" notion would be the place to
>
> look. In the PDF Reference I have, it is in chapter 8, "interactive features"
>
> but I seem to recall when I first read this I did find a section
>
> on structured documents. The PDF32000 document seems to point to chapter
>
> 14.7 for "logical structure." Are there other key words that may be worth
>
> examining?

Express your personality in color! Preview and select themes for HotmailĀ®.

Leonard Rosenthol
PDF Standards Architect
Adobe Systems Incorporated