After considerable effort, we narrowed down a symptom in a much larger
system to this traceback:
    java.lang.NullPointerException
       at com.lowagie.text.pdf.SimpleBookmark.bookmarkDepth(Unknown Source)
       at com.lowagie.text.pdf.SimpleBookmark.getBookmark(Unknown Source)
       at com.lowagie.tools.concat_pdf.main(Unknown Source)
from, in effect, an invocation of
     java -cp /usr/share/java/itext.jar com.lowagie.tools.concat_pdf L1.pdf
O1.pdf
This is 1.4.5 of iText.

What are my prospects?  L1.pdf is a 52-page instance that *looks* OK at a
casual glance. It's probable that L1.pdf is the output from HTMLDOC
operations.  I suspect I can cut L1.pdf down more to probably just a few
crucial pages that yield the NullPointerException.  I'm open to advice,
though:
A.  Is there any reason to think that someone else is already working on
this fault?
B.  Is there any way I can pre-process L1.pdf or invoke iText differently so
that the two get along better?
C.  Is there someone else who'd like to tackle this?  Pay is possible, if
that makes a difference.