> From: warrenonsourcefo...@charter.net
> To: itext-questions@lists.sourceforge.net
> Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 20:34:02 -0500
> Subject: Re: [iText-questions] Perfomance Question - ByteArray vs Files
>
> Ok. So the answers are
>
> 1) To understand how PDFReader works, I need to dig into the source files
> and attempt to learn the underpinnings of the iText code and JAVA. I hadn't
> planned on this since I am implementing iText from another language like a
> black box. I've only played with JAVA directly on a limited basis. Guess
> I'll have to dive in.

Well that was my answer but no one who knows the code has volunteered more
details.
 IF you post a heap dump and ask why
certain things are  being made, someone may or may not know.

> 2) Disk I/O is Bad

doing anything is bad, as you point out allocating and holding is bad.
VM just seems to be an unappreciated bottlebeck ( "but its all in memory" and
" you can always just go buy more memory, that is cheap today" LOL).

> 3) PDFs are Bad. Not sure I have much choice since PDF is what the
> customer wants.

Personally they tend to be used where other formats can do and
they are used in such a way that the files increase in size and decrease in
information
content. Certainly if you have text and can just dump that to the browser, that
is faster ans uses less memory than adding artwork. It also may just be a matter
of obviousness too- if you were generating html, you may be able to easily
identify
constant blocks of html you could cache instead of regenerating each time
and in PDF if you don't know the details it may be less obvious.

> 4) Empirical testing is the answer. Code both methods and test various
> conditions. If results are bad, dig deeper. I have limited access to the
> server but I'll see what tools are available.

Well it is easy to get confused and the more direct tests are more direct.
If you just measure the time intervals routinely, System.currentTimeMillis IIRC
in java
you can get some idea where the problems may be., Memory allocations you
should be able to examine on your desktop easily. I think my suggestion was that
for expensive efforts spending more time for strategy selection or doing
things like sorting the data may produce a net benefit, again it all depends.

> Buy the iText book: http://www.1t3xt.com/docs/book.php
> Check the site with examples before you ask questions:
> http://www.1t3xt.info/examples/
> You can also search the keywords list: http://1t3xt.info/tutorials/keywords/

inbox.