2010/4/22 Bruno Lowagie <br...@lowagie.com>

> Michael Olenick wrote:
> > If you're making money from iText -- with "making money" being defined
> > as somebody is paying you -- you should pay for it.  There's a lot of
> > hard work that went into the creation and support of this awesome
> > tool.
>
> Thanks!
> best regards,
> Bruno

That's very interessting: I am working both in research at an university and
within a small startup (spin off) from the university. The software projects
are closed source freeware and closed source commercial software with a
share of about 50% each. I requested information about obtaining a
commercial license and I was pretty astonished: The license fees were
magnitudes beyond the complete project budgets with very strict obligations.
I am really willing to obtain a license and to pay several 100 $ for it and
I find it absolutely ok for the developers to earn money with their
fantastic library. But: The current license fees are affordable for big
industries only. I already thought about stopping to use iText or to stick
with 2.1.7. After all,within my programms  this is only a small component
for generating reports in order to show the results of computation
processes. I think, there are a lot of small projects and developers who are
in the same situation. If there is another way, I would appreciate this very
much, and as I said: I really like your lib and I am really willing to pay
for it. But I can't invest 150% of the whole budgets on the reporting
component only, and I am not willing to report the number of distribution
number several times a year. Have you ever thought about single developer
licenses with no fees for redistribution?

Bye,
   Michael