On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 3:23 AM, 1T3XT info <i...@1t3xt.info> wrote:

> Viswanathan Puthucode Mahadevan wrote:
> > Question : When opening the PDF file in Adobe Reader, how to get the
> > 'Page n of m', because when generating the PDF file, it is not possible
> > to know the Total number.
>
> There are two ways to do this. Both are explained in
> http://itextpdf.com/book
>
> > Question 2 :  In MS Word there is Field 'NUMPAGES' which print the total
> > number of pages, is there any similar function in PDF to print the total
> > number of pages?
>
> One of the two ways mentioned above works more or less like that. The
> other way involves creating the document in two passes.
>
> This is a question that has been answered over and over again, please
> don't use the mailing list for trivial questions.

I personally find it extraordinarily difficult to judge what is "trivial",
let alone communicate it to newcomers.  I wish I saw this more clearly.

Viswanathan, along with the examples already offered you, a variant of the
two-pass approach appears in  <URL:
http://www.itworld.com/development/106575/pdf-pagination-only-takes-a-few-lines>.