On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Brandon Kaminsky <bkami...@broward.edu>wrote:

>  I didn’t want to bore the thread with our intended solution but if it
> will help set the context that you need to be able to answer to the question
> then here you are:
>

> 1.)We are serving a web form to students who may or may not have Adobe
> Acrobat - hence the need for a web-based form.
>
> 2.)We need a  complete “snapshot” of the form along with the student
> answers stored in our imaging system for government-required record keeping.
>
> 3.)The form has graphics, logos, etc and is formatted in a fairly precise
> manner.
>
> 4.)Our imaging system requires files to be in PDF or TIFF format.
>

> Based on your response, I’m guessing that we’d capture the data from the
> form submission and use it to populate a pre-built PDF using itext? Is that
> how it would function? Thank you.

*I* certainly manage Web forms that capture data for government operations,
and render the results to PDF for statutory requirements of one form or
another.  Sometimes, but not always, I rely on iText.  In that sense, then,
I suppose, yes, I constitute an existence proof that it *could* function
that way for you.  I don't understand your precise requirements, though, and
certainly am not in a position to judge whether iText is the *best*
solution.

I'll tangentially speculate, though, based on my own experience, that there
might be *no* solution:  that is, this talk about "precise" graphics and
exact layouts makes me wonder whether, once again, the agencies involved
have specified an impossible target.  I know there are plenty of times when
I've had to figure out what makes sense, then go back to the decision-makers
to ask them to change their specs to match reality.

Good luck.