j...@msdlg.com wrote:
> I've got a question about iText's ability to manipulate .PDF's. We have a
> customer who has about 60 .PDF's that they modify every year. We have to
> duplicate those in Excel in order to fill in certain cells with our
> application to print out (huge task).  It would be great if we could take
> these .PDF files and just add rotated text t them at certain positions.  Is
> it possible with iText's capabilities to:
>
> 1. Turn text sideways? We have to print text rotated 90 degrees to fit into
> these cells.

If the existing PDF doesn't have to be changed,
then you can stamp extra content on each page using PdfStamper.
You can add extra text in any orientation (but it's stamped
on top of the existing content, the existing content doesn't
move; you can't "insert" a row or a line).

> 2. Place that rotated text at certain positions in the document. We have 10
> to 12 spaces that we need to fill in with numbers, and if we can tell it
> exactly where to place these, that would be exactly what we're looking for.

The best way to do this, would be to ask the supplier of the documents
to add text field annotations (AcroForm technology). You can easily do
that in Acrobat. iText can fetch the coordinates of those fields, fill
them out, and "flatten" the PDF.

> 3.  This one may be a stretch, but we have a Delphi 5 (Visual Pascal)
> application.  It can usually use Com Objects and .dll's, does anyone know if
> it'd be possible to use iText to do this sort of work in Delphi?

Delphi... It has been 10 years since I last heard of somebody using
Delphi. I have no idea if you could use iText in a Delphi context.

Maybe another subscriber of the list can help you further.
--
This answer is provided by 1T3XT BVBA
http://www.1t3xt.com/ - http://www.1t3xt.info