From: mkl [mailto:m...@wir-sind-cool.org]
Sent: 10 January 2012 11:46 AM
To: itext-questions@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [iText-questions] FW: flatten a pdf

George,

George Pearson wrote
> We currently have a program that merges two sets of pdf using
> iTextSharp to display to a user the entire set.
>
> This has been working great for that past few months however the
> client now in the one set of pdf's have Adobe LiveCycle type forms,
> these forms as you may know are pdf forms where user can fill in /
> complete fields in the document on their computers. Like dynamic forms.
>
> The application now gives an error:
>
> "Please wait...
> If this message is not eventually replaced by the proper contents of
> the document, your PDF viewer may not be able to display this type of
> document."
>
> [...]
> page = writer.GetImportedPage(reader, i); cb.AddTemplate(page, 1f, 0,
> 0, 1f, 0, 0);
>
> Could anyone plz point me in the right direction?

Templates retrieved via getImportedPage methods only contain the content stream
data of those pages and data referenced from there, but no interactive features
at all, e.g. links, AcroForm form fields, .... You may want to read chapter 6
of iText in Action, 2nd edition, to find out about ways to also copy all kinds
of annotations.

The very issue you present here is somewhat more complicated, though, as it
seems to make use of the XFA form mechanism. In the case at hand, the page
content streams actually do contain the warning text you see. A PDF viewer
eventually replaces them when rendering the XFA forms contained separately in
the document.

The iText support for XFA is somewhat limitted. Especially I don't think iText
contains code for merging XFA forms for the use case of merging documents.
Therefore, to solve your problem you may write such code and, hopefully,
present it to the community for general use. It's not easy, though.

On the other hand you may want to try and use a feature currently in
development (cf.  http://lowagie.com/xfa2pdf XFA to PDF ) as a first step for
documents with XFA form data before merging documents using the better
mechanisms from chapter 6.

Regards,   Michael

to the iText book: http://www.itextpdf.com/book/ Please check the keywords list
before you ask for examples: http://itextpdf.com/themes/keywords.php