Andreas, Max,

Andreas Kuehne-3 wrote
> For curiosity I took a look at the signature, too. Here's what I got:
>
> 2012-01-31 20:04:13,281 ERROR (http-0.0.0.0-8080-7)
> [de.trustable.signingserver.Verifier] Signature ERROR from signer # 0 :
> javax.crypto.BadPaddingException: Invalid PKCS#1 padding: encrypted
> message and modulus lengths do not match!

Oops, you're right of course. I didn't look into the logs here as I got back
a report complaining about the untrusted root and, falsely, deduced that
everything (including the signature) could be properly decoded. In the logs
I now also find

javax.crypto.BadPaddingException: Data must start with zero
        at sun.security.rsa.RSAPadding.unpadV15(RSAPadding.java:308)
        at ...

> The decrypted signature content difinitly doesn't look like having a
> padding applied: This problem usually stems from unmatching signing keys /
> certificates.

Max uses the iText utility class PdfPKCS7:

            PdfPKCS7 sig = new PdfPKCS7(null, certChain, null, "SHA-256",
null, false);
            sig.setExternalDigest(hash, data, "RSA");
            [...]
            byte[] ssig = sig.getEncodedPKCS7(null, cal, null, ocsp);

To create his data he uses

            var SignedData = new ActiveXObject("CAPICOM.SignedData");
            SignedData.Content = src;
            var Signer = FindCertificateByHash();
            [...]
            Signer.AuthenticatedAttributes.Add(TimeAttribute);
            var szSignature = SignedData.Sign(Signer, false,
CAPICOM_ENCODE_BASE64);

As I don't use these classes myself, I don't know whether this usage is
correct nor do I know the format of the input or output data.

If wild guesses are allowed, though, adding some "TimeAttribute" to those
"Signer.AuthenticatedAttributes" might imply that "szSignature" not merely
contains some PKCS#1 signature to include into a signature container by
means of the iText PdfPKCS7 utility class but instead already a full-blown
CMS signature container which can be inserted into the PDF as is.

Can anyone deny or confirm?

Regards,   Michael