On 9/10/2013 5:51 PM, Zurfluh, Alen wrote:
Hi there,
My plan is to use the Java Class PdfReader and its method getMetadata to return metadata from a PDF document. This does not work for all my pdf documents. For some pdf documents the method getMetadata would return NULL.

So I compared a working with a non-working PDF file. I noticed that the working one includes so-called Dublin Core Properties Whereas the non-working one does not! But the non-working as well working ones have properties like XMP core properties, PDF properties, XMP Media Management Properties.

Can this be the reason, why getMetadata returns NULL?

When getMetadata returns NULL, there is no "document-level" XMP stream.There may be XMPstreams for other objects inside the document, but there is no metadata with respect of the complete document.

That's the most likely difference between what you describe as the documents that are "working" and the "non-working" ones.